🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Graphic card freezes

Started by
1 comment, last by shirsoft 15 years, 5 months ago
Hello everyone, I have been experiencing strange graphic card freezes ever since I 'fixed' my macbook pro. Few weeks ago my macbook pro right fan started to make a buzzing chainsaw sound. On pressing the problem area the noise went away. So I opened the laptop and placed a mound of electrical tape over the fan cover. This raised mound gave the required pressure to eliminate the sound. However now my graphics card has become unstable. Quite often when I start a game, it freezes the system, the screen flashes several times, the textures randomly get shuffled and then after a few secs it totally hangs up. The important thing is that if the game loads successfully then I can play the game for hours unless I load the next level. I have checked the sensors: The fans run at 2000rpm. GPU temp = 71 CPU temp = 66 Harddisk = 56
The longest battle is the battle within
Advertisement
using 'mounds of electrical tape' is generally not a good solution to hardware issues. In increasing the pressure on the fan, you have most likely killed the airflow, causing the GPU temperature to rise. GPUs produce a lot of heat, and slim laptops like that run with extremely low tolerances as regards to heat.

if you hadn't already voided the warranty, I would have suggested taking it to Apple - you should still have been under AppleCare (provided you bought it in the first place). At this point, i would advise immediately removing the tape (before you burn out the GPU), and then hunt around for known fixes to the fan issue - or take it to a technician.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Thanks for the help. I will probably go the apple store soon and see what can be done.
The longest battle is the battle within

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement