🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Problems with JACK and Rosegarden.

Started by
6 comments, last by Pipes McGee 15 years, 6 months ago
This is the error I get when I attempt to run jackd (just to see if it runs ok) via the console:

linux-96gf:/home/brenlae # jackd
jackd: symbol lookup error: jackd: undefined symbol: clock_source
So, I'm realling confused. What does this "undefined symbol: clock_source" mean, and how can I define, or, set it? Thanks. :)
Advertisement
That error means the runtime link loader (ld.so) has failed to find the definition of a symbol. In other words, you're probably missing a shared library in the runtime link loader's shared library search path.

One of three things have happened.

(1) You built the program from source yourself and have not installed it or a dependency library, so the library is not found in the default shared library search path.

(2) You have installed a prebuilt binary without using your OS's installation procedures and have not installed required runtime dependencies, so the libraries are not available.

(3) The developer made an error.

You can determine what libraries are missing by using the ldd command on the jack binary to list how the runtime link loader will resolve the libraries.

You can resolve the first two problems by either using your OS's software installation tools, finding building and installing the required libraries, or setting the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH as appropriate. The exact resolution depends on what has caused the error.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Um, if it helps any, I am using OpenSUSE 11.0. I installed prebuilt binaries through Yast.

So, still very confused. :(
That sounds like a missing lib. Try uninstalling and reinstalling.
I tried uninstalling / reinstalling jack and jacklib etc. to no avail.

I heard something about it having to do with the kernel?

Or maybe it is just a missing lib?
A name like "jackd" sounds like a daemon, a program not normally run from the command line. It could very well be that the normal way of running the daemon requires the setting of LD_LIBRARY_PATH before the daemon gets lunches so that libraries in a nonstandard directory get picked up.

Find out how the daemon is supposed to be launched (eg. from an init.d script), and check to see if the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable gets set first.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

The qjack tool can be used to start the jack daemon, setting any relevant environment variables for you and passing settings flags. It might make things simpler.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

I tried that, and jackd still won't initialize.

:S

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement