🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

2d under Linux

Started by
5 comments, last by Redge 23 years ago
I''d like to know what is the best API under Linux to make 2d games ??? Thanks Redge
Redge
Advertisement
Either SDL or OpenGL, imo.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
hey Null, what you think of Clanlib?

there is also GGI, but I think thats not game related, is mostly a Graphics thing, then there is Allegro being ported to many platforms, anyway I am not making any linux games right now, eventualy I want to port my windows directx game to Linux, and it will help me a lot to know what is the best API to use as well.
I would suggest SDL for doing 2D stuff. If you''ve done anything in DirectDraw then the API is somewhat similar. There are a lot of good examples on their website. I''ve had no problems with it so far.

SDL also supports the use of OpenGL as well, although I haven''t tried that out yet.

-------
Andrew
If you just need 2d, you can use Xlib. I still recommend OpenGL if you need superspeeds, otherwise Xlib is imo better.
Thanks a lot

Redge
Redge
I prefer ClanLib. It has a very clean interface, it is easy to use and it is object oriented.
Visit:http://www.evildawncrew.comAll things which are worth beeing done, are worth beeing donw well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement