🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Hey, Lucasarts fans and experienced coders!

Started by
4 comments, last by thanius 23 years ago
Came up with an idea the other day, when I was playing one of my favorite LEC-games - Full Throttle. Everytime I want to play one of these games, I always need to boot up to DOS and start the game from there. I think that someone or somebody should try to port the binaries (Yes, just the binaries) as an Opensource/GPL project. To play the game, you must own the libraries... If someone find this idea great, please contact me. I dunno how to code in any language (Even though I''m studying C right now), but I can be helpful anyways. (Anyone need an artist/character designer?) Anyways, the games I''d love to see on Linux are: * Monkey Island 1 and 2 * Full Throttle * Zak McKracken (Enhance music with midi?) * Loom/Loom CD * The Dig * Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade/Fate of Atlantis * Maniac Mansion * Day of the Tentacle And many others... What do you think? Reply with comment, please. -- How could this go so far, that I need someone to say - what is wrong, not with the world but me. --
-- How could this go so far, that I need someone to say - what is wrong, not with the world but me. --
Advertisement
Generally, one doesn''t try to ''port'' binaries. It''s easier to run them in emulation. Why not try running these programs in DOSEmu?
1. My computer is way to slow, only LEC game I''ve managed to start is Zak McKracken - and it was lagging (P200)
2. I dunno if CD-games can be run through DOSemu
3. We like Linux better than MS-products.
-- How could this go so far, that I need someone to say - what is wrong, not with the world but me. --
Interesting idea, but I''d advise extreme caution on the whole copyright issue.

Got Slack?
Commander M
Yeah, but would we be manipulating or copying their software? All we would do, would be giving the Linux LEC-fans an opportunity to play their favorite games under Linux... But they would still need to buy the games to play them. 8)
Like ALE, the Warcraft clone; or Doom/Quake (This was easier to port, since the code was opensourced).

Alternatively, we could start a petition and gather names asking for the old LEC games to be Opensourced/GPL:ed. Only the binaries, that is.
You ever read the lisence agreement for those games? Have a read. It''s pretty much: Don''t ever do anything that might even possibly consitute a copyright infringement on this product INCLUDING reverse engineering any aspect of it.

At least, that''s what I got for monkey island/loom/etc. I haven''t read the lisences for some of the ones you mentioned.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement