Advertisement

OpenGL without X11

Started by July 12, 2008 07:24 PM
32 comments, last by HuntsMan 16 years, 2 months ago
Quote: Original post by Encryptor
Thanks for the comments guys!
Now we're getting somewhere. I agree that rewriting X means, most of the time, going through the same annoying bugs again. However, that doesn't mean that the X team can't just say 'This is what it was. This is what it is now. New and improved.'

For me the only thing i don't like about X.org is the lack of documentation, maybe you can direct your work towards making good documentation about X11 internals, Xlib/Xcb for developers, and, GLX documentation.

Making documentation is a lot more easier than building the whole thing from scratch. (Even without considering driver support for a "new" Graphics Architecture for Linux/UNIX.)

Quote: Original post by HuntsMan
Now we're getting somewhere. I agree that rewriting X means, most of the time, going through the same annoying bugs again. However, that doesn't mean that the X team can't just say 'This is what it was. This is what it is now. New and improved.'

For me the only thing i don't like about X.org is the lack of documentation, maybe you can direct your work towards making good documentation about X11 internals, Xlib/Xcb for developers, and, GLX documentation.

Making documentation is a lot more easier than building the whole thing from scratch. (Even without considering driver support for a "new" Graphics Architecture for Linux/UNIX.)

I can certainly document some of the pitfalls I encounter, but how am I supposed to document parts of X if there's no documentation to get me to the level where I can actually teach others?
Advertisement
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xcb/libxcb.git;a=blob_plain;f=doc/tutorial/index.html is the only XCB tutorial I know of.
Quote: Original post by HuntsMan

I can certainly document some of the pitfalls I encounter, but how am I supposed to document parts of X if there's no documentation to get me to the level where I can actually teach others?

Well you gonna need to involve with the X11 developers than have the documentation in their minds.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement