🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Keyboards for Programming

Started by
16 comments, last by joe_bubamara 16 years, 2 months ago
Typing on the big plastic thingy is what we do for hours and hours on daily basis, thus it seems natural to seek the optimal keyboard to maximize our efficiency and minimize strain and fatigue. What do you think is the best keyboard model out there for developers (programmers specifically)? I've personally been using the Eclipse keyboard for quite a while now, and it has a very nice typing feel to it, but the keys themselves are somewhat hard to press and often my fingers hate me after a few hours of continuous typing. I certainly wouldn't mind trying something better. Thanks!
Advertisement
I personally use the Eclipse II (the one with backlights) I really like the feeling of th keypress. I cant really recommend a keyboard for hours on end of typing as about two hours are the max for me in a day.
"I would rather be in the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks" -Unknown
This might not be the most ergonomic keyboard in the world, but of all the keyboards I've tried, this one has the best feel to it. The "feedback" is excellent which means you'll hardly ever "miss" a key. I use one of these all day both at home and at work and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. Also: It's cheap.
Any other opinions? Keem 'em coming!
Well I wouldn't recommend the Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 4000. However the Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 that comes bundled with it is very very nice.
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/business/products/keyboards/devices/587&cl=roeu,en
I've got one of these on my work PC, and I liked it so much I bought two for my home PC's too ;)
You should really get an Ultra-X just to test how different it is to type on a keyboard with flat keys. They aren't exactly like the ones on a laptop, more like a mix between normal and laptop keys. Pretty much everyone I know that do a lot of programming use an Ultra-X. They only cost ~$20, so it's not a huge loss if you don't like it.

Only drawback is that I can no longer use normal keyboards ;)

Edit: and btw, http://www.playahead.se/ztv/ztv_video.aspx?videoid=baccc693-3b13-4524-8938-4071e9e02281 (in swedish ;) ) shows that people at both Avalanche Studios and Digital Illusions CE use the Ultra-X ;)

[Edited by - _swx_ on April 8, 2008 10:01:44 PM]
Anyone here use a dvorak keyboard layout?
Johnny was a chemist's son by Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was HO4
Quote: Original post by adam4813
Well I wouldn't recommend the Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 4000. However the Wireless Laser Mouse 5000 that comes bundled with it is very very nice.

why wouldn't you recommend it?(Only way I can see is if you type if a freestyle way where you move your hands across the keyboard often)

I was trained to do home row touch typing and I love that keyboard because it requires the least amount of distance for my fingers to go to type, and the keyboard seems to be immune to ghosting, and it's at the same price as a regular anti-ghosting keyboard

EDIT: oh I see now wireless, the wired version is definitely better as when I had the wireless one it liked to cut out on me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement