Advertisement

Keyboards for Programming

Started by April 07, 2008 03:34 PM
16 comments, last by joe_bubamara 16 years, 5 months ago
i would say one with back ligths should work the best, i don't have one though.
Looking to buy this 1:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1530751&CatId=142
or
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3260313&CatId=535
My wrists like the MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. It also has a bunch of configurable buttons, back/forward arrows, a zoom wheel thingy, volume controls, and a super-handy calculator button.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Advertisement
Does anyone have any opinions of the "Model M" style of keyboards? I've been very curious since I read some slashdot thread with everyone raving about them saying they're the best for programming.

It would be very expensive for me to get one (and risky as I've never even tried one) - I'd need a new Unicomp one with a UK layout, and shipping would probably cost loads as they're very heavy. I'd also be worried about playing games with clicky keys; It would be a huge hassle having to swap keyboards if that was problematic.
Quote: Original post by MetaL
Does anyone have any opinions of the "Model M" style of keyboards? I've been very curious since I read some slashdot thread with everyone raving about them saying they're the best for programming.

It would be very expensive for me to get one (and risky as I've never even tried one) - I'd need a new Unicomp one with a UK layout, and shipping would probably cost loads as they're very heavy. I'd also be worried about playing games with clicky keys; It would be a huge hassle having to swap keyboards if that was problematic.

One of my coworkers used to have one of those, and always swore by it :) Never got a chance to try typing on it, but I know I got lucky that I didn't share office with him heh.

Btw I ordered one of those UltraX Logitechs, really curious to see what they feel like.
In general I've found cherry to be excellent makers of keyboards. I've had a few from them over the years and they've always lasted for ages, I've usually only had to get a new one when my own stupidity (a pint of spilled coffee, a fall from a window, etc.) brings about the untimely demise of the current one. They've always had really nice well balanced key press responses too.

As a company, all they do is make switches, sensors and input devices, unlike the likes of logitech and microsoft that want to be in every market. So as long as you don't _need_ glowing backlit keys and loads of random (usually pointless) extra buttons and LCD displays on your keyboard then I'd definitely recommend them.

I use one of these at the moment, it's faultless.

BTW - no I don't work for them. :-)
I got my UltraX the other day. It took a while to get used to it but I think I'm pretty much in love with how weird it feels to have a laptop keyboard on a desktop. It seems to be very well made, sturdy and stable. The keys have a mild click to them which my eclipse didn't really have.

Pretty satisfied so far, only wish they had an ergonomic version of this model around since carpal doesn't seem that far away heh.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by MetaL

You shouldn't be taking slashdot seriously

I had the 89 version of the Model M, and while being really sturdy, there's nothing really fantastic about it, it's just a keyboard.
The best one I ever used was one produced by Sun. I have used it long time ago, together with Sun ray servers. It had copy, paste etc keys, which let me bound standard shortcuts to other kyes. It was also big, with good rest support, so one can rest hands while typing.

I remember once typing for like an hour or so on a mac, with those small keyboards they used to ship with iMacs, and getting pain in my wrists. Then I change to Sun workstation and it felt like changing from Fiat Punto for a Mercedes. Since then I avoid apple's crappy tiny small keyboards (and os:s) as much as I can.

I am using now at home logitech G15. Bought it in thaught that I would be able to customize macro keys together with emacs, visual studio etc, but it doesn't work quite well. It doesn't work at all actually, so I don't recommend it. Otherwise I like it's size, a keyboard should be big so we can rest our hands on, unfortunately this one is not ergo shaped, which I prefered it was.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement