🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Minimum Apple hardware Specs

Started by
4 comments, last by swiftcoder 16 years, 3 months ago
I've recently bought a 1.8GHZ mac mini as a backup mac while my 2.4GHZ MacBook Pro was in the shop. So now that my macbook is back, I think I should keep this thing around and use it as a minimum targeted machine because it is the lowest model Apple sells right now. What surprises me the most is that this little box is really powerful for what it is - but still probably pails in comparison to any PC.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by MrRage
What surprises me the most is that this little box is really powerful for what it is - but still probably pails in comparison to any PC.
Depends on the PC - there are plenty of small PCs with less juice than that baby. Also worth noting is that OS X is significantly more resource-friendly than Vista, and typically feels snappier than XP or most Linux distros (just subjectively, as it is very responsive).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Wow you are making my old powerpc laptop feel sad since it's only a 500mhz powerpc model!
I still use it on a daily basis though for everything except games;)
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote: Original post by daviangel
Wow you are making my old powerpc laptop feel sad since it's only a 500mhz powerpc model!
I still use it on a daily basis though for everything except games;)

I have one of those around, G4 TiBook - still running strong ;)

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote: Original post by swiftcoder
What surprises me the most is that this little box is really powerful for what it is - but still probably pails in comparison to any PC.
Depends on the PC - there are plenty of small PCs with less juice than that baby. Also worth noting is that OS X is significantly more resource-friendly than Vista, and typically feels snappier than XP or most Linux distros (just subjectively, as it is very responsive).
Eh, only if you are careful to feed OSX enough RAM. Vista's a lot worse than XP in this regard, but they still come off better than OSX, which is extraordinarily memory hungry.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote: Original post by Promit
Quote: Original post by swiftcoder
Eh, only if you are careful to feed OSX enough RAM. Vista's a lot worse than XP in this regard, but they still come off better than OSX, which is extraordinarily memory hungry.

True, but RAM is cheap these days, and Macs have always been RAM-hungry (even back in the System 7 days). I would recommend a minimum of 2 gigs for any computer, Mac or otherwise.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement