Advertisement

Apple iMacs

Started by October 29, 2007 02:11 PM
0 comments, last by Saruman 16 years, 11 months ago
Now that 10.5 Leopard has been released, I've been debating if it's time to upgrade my Power PC PowerMac and go the Intel route. I've been running out of space for computers, and thus, an all in one machine hidden in the monitor sounds tempting for space reasons. Several questions: A) When I bought my PowerMac, Apple forced me to get optical speakers. From what I've seen, their new PowerMacs added back in the old headphone jacks, etc, but now that I've ended up going optical, I don't really want to end up spending money going back to analog. Do the new iMacs have optical out/in? (I'm unable to go to an apple store until the weekend). B) Do they have a DVI extention so I can add a secondary monitor? Also, is the iMacs HDCP complinat? C) On that end, when Apple eventually adds Blu-Ray drives to their machine, is it possible to exchange the SuperDrive, or am I stuck with the current drive? Should I just hold off for that? D) Will the new iteration of iMacs contain half decent video cards? I like the hardware choices that Apple uses for their computers, except for the video card. It's like having the chassis of a Lamborghini, the leather seating, customized stick, full entertainment center, and then having the engine of a Hyundai Accent. E) Dead pixel policy. I've never liked Apple (nor many companies) for this area. They have a 14 day return policy if not customized. Figuring the only thing that involves customization is the RAM, would adding in a second gig of RAM really prevent the return? Or is there a way I can open up the box and see the machine for myself before putting down the credit card? F) I've also heard that Apple might be coming out with a low end PowerMac designed for gamers. Would there be any validity to this at all? (I don't really feel like spending $5000+ again for a machine I'm using for hobbyist purposes only).
A) No, at least not that I can see and I just spun it around.

B) Do they have a DVI extention so I can add a secondary monitor?
- Yes they use Mini-DVI so you also have to buy the adapter to go to DVI

Also, is the iMacs HDCP complinat?
- No

C) On that end, when Apple eventually adds Blu-Ray drives to their machine, is it possible to exchange the SuperDrive, or am I stuck with the current drive? Should I just hold off for that?
- Stuck

D) Will the new iteration of iMacs contain half decent video cards? I like the hardware choices that Apple uses for their computers, except for the video card. It's like having the chassis of a Lamborghini, the leather seating, customized stick, full entertainment center, and then having the engine of a Hyundai Accent.
- Their hardware isn't a lamborghini at all but a mid-end PC if you look at the specs. They really have to worry about heat/power in the iMac line so I doubt they will go to higher end video.

E) Dead pixel policy. I've never liked Apple (nor many companies) for this area. They have a 14 day return policy if not customized. Figuring the only thing that involves customization is the RAM, would adding in a second gig of RAM really prevent the return? Or is there a way I can open up the box and see the machine for myself before putting down the credit card?
- I've heard rumors on the net about people that have asked to take it out of the box and look at it first, but in reality everyone I know that has gone in and asked that were told that it can't be done and to just look at the display model.

F) I've also heard that Apple might be coming out with a low end PowerMac designed for gamers. Would there be any validity to this at all? (I don't really feel like spending $5000+ again for a machine I'm using for hobbyist purposes only).
- I highly doubt they would do that since they have the Mac Pro and they don't even have a "Mac" yet to gap the hole between iMac and Mac Pro, which they would definitely do before niche markets.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement