🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4e6] Game Idea: Pony Plow. Need feedback!

Started by
3 comments, last by brain21 16 years, 9 months ago
Game Name: Pony Plow (you'll see why in a minute!) Story (Will be detailed at the start through a series of humorous scenes, similar humor to the monkey island series): Larry F, is a successful accountant in the year 1985 (oh yeah). Armed with his lucky calculator, he can do no wrong. He is the envy of his peers, especially his arch rival, evil guy (need a name, something evil, like Lex Luthor) from the mysterious Nypo Corporation. One day, while working late at the office, Lex is attacked and knocked unconscious. He awakes, as the assailant is rummaging through his office. He runs to his office, to discover the assailant has made off with the liquid crystals (!) from his prized calculator. He pursues the assailant out through the office and into a dark alley, where he looses chase. He is once again knocked unconscious. Awaking, Larry's life is ruined. With his prized calculator in pieces, He loses his job, his car, his house and his scantily-clad barely-overage girlfriend. Larry becomes just another bum on the the city streets. One day, Larry is approached by a mysterious stranger, promising him that, for a nominal fee, he can help him get his success back. all he has to do it take the purple pill, oh, and pay him $20 bucks when he's got it on him. Larry, figuring he has little to loose, takes the purple pill. Moments later he awakes in a strangely lit hut, surrounded by of all things, ponies. Dazed and confused, the lead pony speaks. In brief, evil guy is actually the villainous Mule, leader the arch enemy of the Pony Posse (the good ponies), the err, Pack Mules. Mules henchmen stole the liquid crystals from his calculator because he was a threat to the Pack Mules expansion into the human world. The Pack Mules have scattered the liquid crystals throughout the rolling green hills or Happy Land (need a name for that one, the word 'cutesy' comes to mind). It's up to Larry to get back the liquid crystals, and maybe even save Happy Land. He is instructed to terminate the Evil Ponies with extreme prejudice (oooooh yeah). Game Mechanics: Players control Larry, mounted on his trusty steed through a series of side scrolling levels. I'm wanting to make something very chaotic, similar to the Metal Slug series as far as sheer number of enemies go. Basically, you've gotta plow through everything in your way, while collecting liquid crystals along the way. Heres where things get a bit more interesting; some of the evil ponies are equipped with err, exploding bells. the explosions come in a few sizes, depending on the pony spawned. By using a variety of unique weapons, players can affect the manner in which the ponies explode; for example, by using the horse tranquilizer gun, players could make the ponies balloon up, making them float. They could then use a nail gun/crossbow/pointed stick to create an extra big boom, and earn a few extra points, and perhaps creating an explosion that does a bit less damage, but causes things within the vicinity of the blast to be thrown back (rocket jump?). By chaining up explosions, and being creative, players can not only stay alive, but rack up a big score. Points could be used to upgrade Larry, or purchase new weapons at set intervals. It's seams pretty straight forward, but I think it sounds like a lot of fun. It probably sounds like a game that already exists, but I came up with this idea on my own, FYI. Modes of play: I'm thinking single player, an endurance type mode, and a time attack mode. Also, multi player modes, probably a coop mode of some kind. Technology: Python/Pygame Notes: Theres a few holes in the story line above, but most of that will be covered in he course of dialog during the game. Oh, and one last thing; by adding a 'gore-o-meter' to provide an excessive amount of blood spraying ponies for those who want them, as well as tamer modes for kids (as in, the ponies explode into stars or something), would this reduce the ESRB type rating of my game? So, feedback, ideas, name suggestions? Oh, and please excuse my spelling. Thanks if you actually read all that :), and thanks for any suggestions you can give me!
Advertisement
39 Views and 0 replies. At this stage I'm starting to think I'm doing something very right, or very wrong [looksaround].

[Edited by - Liam M on October 8, 2007 4:53:23 AM]
Heh, kind of cute and I like the humor of it so far.
I absolutely love this idea. I hope you finish it. Good luck.
"It is not enough to merely faces one's fears. One must run screaming toward them,"
Hey, that's a great story! The game will have to be fun to play and as good as the story. I can't wait to play it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement