🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4E6] Can crystals have any shape?

Started by
11 comments, last by Avatar God 16 years, 9 months ago
Hi there, Just to be on the safe side, I'll ask. The crystals representing the crystal element can be any shape, right? My idea revolves around the fact that the shape of the crystals will be "unconventional", instead of the typical geometric shapes people associate crystals with. Is that okay? Thanks in advance.
--------------------------------------------------------- There are 10 kinds of people: those who know binary and those who don't
Advertisement
Crystals take on a shape based on a crystalline structure (thats what makes them 'crystals'), so check up on that for how the different ones can form and what they look like to give yourself better ideas of how to do them.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
If it's shiny and translucent and you call it a crystal, I'll go with it.

I don't think you have to research geology to answer this question, as long as it's crystal clear (pardon the pun) that it is a crystal, I'm happy to stretch my imagination.
Nick Wilson - Junior C# Developer | See my crappy site
Quote: Original post by NickHighIQ
If it's shiny and translucent and you call it a crystal, I'll go with it.

I don't think you have to research geology to answer this question, as long as it's crystal clear (pardon the pun) that it is a crystal, I'm happy to stretch my imagination.
Crystals don't have to be transparent/translucent. You've seen Iron Pyrite (fools' gold)? If I remember rightly, metals can be formed into a crystalline structure.

A crystal could be any shape, even the shape of a pony...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystalline_structure
heres a link if people want to check out.
I'm so glad I got to wander around what must have been the largest crystal and gem collection in Australia. For free, too. More than once. Because there's nothing else to do in Bathurst, NSW. Anyway, there are some pretty cool-looking crystals if you want to be creative.

Anyway, check out superpig's journal for what (to me) is a clear description of what does and doesn't make an element.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
if you think of very small crystals you can form with them any shape... ice sculptures etc.... i would say there are no shape limitations
Quote: Original post by d000hg
If I remember rightly, metals can be formed into a crystalline structure.

Metals are crystalline, they're made up of many crystalline grains. Polymers can be crystalline too.
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
Bones too!
"It is not enough to merely faces one's fears. One must run screaming toward them,"
Horse shaped crystals may not appear in nature, but they are manufactured by man. Swarovski, for example, manufactures a number of different horse shaped crystal figurines. All starting at about $350 US, which is a great reason to bring in the accountants.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement