🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Screen resolution

Started by
14 comments, last by Sly 16 years, 9 months ago
Just a quick question. I notice any reference to screen resolution requirements for the contest. I know that optimally the user will be able to select what resolution the game runs at (which is what I was planning to do anyway), but I figured I'd bring up the question of "Is there an min/max resolution requirement?" just in case. Thanks!
"Game Programming" in an of itself does not exist. We learn to program and then use that knowledge to make games.
Advertisement
I wouldn't require anything below 640x480 (or 320x240 for retro 2D), and you might want to support 1024x768 just in case this gets judged on a laptop ;)

Widescreen support doesn't hurt these days either...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Looking at some statistics on the web, it looks like 640x480 is dead (not that I expected otherwise) and that even 800x600 is almost gone (7-14% seems to an average), with 1024x768 being around 50%

To me, honestly, 1024x768 seems like a reasonable minimum, with an equivalent wide screen res to match
"Game Programming" in an of itself does not exist. We learn to program and then use that knowledge to make games.
I normally make my mininum resolution for games/websites 800x600 just to be safe. I have a few friends who refuse to use anything bigger.
Check out my 4E6 progress!( Personal Guarantee! You will NOT get rick-rolled. )
The widescreen isue is a relevant one. We were discussing it recently that even AAA titles often don't work properly on both 4:3 and widescreen monitors. So knowing if the judeges will be testing widescreen is important. Personally, I think one of the scoring sections should automatically lose a point if you mess this up. How will old-school pixel-art games resolve this...?
Quote: Original post by Instruo
...640x480 is dead...
Unless the UI restricts it, I usually play in 640x480 8xAA.
I love playing in 640x480. Remember Ninja Loves Pirate.
Well, I have a 21" wide screen monitor, so I will be working on wide screen support. I hope other games will support it, as there are lots of games that won't support it, and forces me to change a couple of settings on my monitor. (I also have a 15" monitor [dual view]) though, I don't use it for games).

Chad

I'm going for retro 320x200 look, though I have to emulate it ;)
If only noobs were boobs... the world would be a better place.
People who play with Steam use these resolutions: Valve Survey Summary
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement