🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

4-n Elements Contest

Started by
13 comments, last by superpig 16 years, 9 months ago
Quote: Original post by superpig
Quote: Original post by OrangyTang
Does this years judging criteria include points for "use of elements"? IIRC last year you didn't get any points for use of elements, so a game which included the elements but totally ignored them was judged equal with one that made them a core part of the gameplay.
No, it wasn't. Games that just "bolt on" the elements - just as if they "bolted on" any aspect of the design - suffered in the cohesiveness subcategory. The judging schema is the same this year.

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't realise that cohesiveness also covered the elements as well.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
In a way I'm a bit relieved there's a three element rule. Last year I had the beginnings of heaps of good ideas for workable contest entries, but I had to scrap them when I could only fully incorporate three elements with the fourth only able to be bolted on.!

I see the 4E contest as being as much of a design contest as it is a programming contest. There are plenty of contests where you can just create your own game, but requiring all four elements brings an interesting design challenge into the mix. Sure, you might have to scrap a few ideas until you find the right one, but usually each idea you come up with will be better than the one before it.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Quote: Original post by superpig
Does this years judging criteria include points for "use of elements"? IIRC last year you didn't get any points for use of elements, so a game which included the elements but totally ignored them was judged equal with one that made them a core part of the gameplay.
No, it wasn't. Games that just "bolt on" the elements - just as if they "bolted on" any aspect of the design - suffered in the cohesiveness subcategory. The judging schema is the same this year.

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't realise that cohesiveness also covered the elements as well.

Well, it covers all parts of the design. If you crowbar the elements into your game, then it'll suffer for it just as much as if you'd crowbarred a painful pop culture reference or rickety gameplay mechanic in there. That is, if you just have Element X floating around in your level, it needs to make sense that it would be doing so.

WRT number of elements: Yeah. Originally the whole point of the elements was just to prevent people from submitting games that they've already created, but they can also serve to inspire designs and provide initial constraints to help guide people's brainstorming. From the first point of view a single obscure element would be enough to require that everyone do some work to modify their games, but that wouldn't help the second. You'll see some people who use all four elements rather than just three because they want to try and achieve that for their own satisfaction, or because they've simply been thinking about all four at the same time and had a design arise from that.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by JBourrie
I see the 4E contest as being as much of a design contest as it is a programming contest. There are plenty of contests where you can just create your own game, but requiring all four elements brings an interesting design challenge into the mix. Sure, you might have to scrap a few ideas until you find the right one, but usually each idea you come up with will be better than the one before it.

I agree, but it was more an issue with abstract nature of the elements last year. I wanted to strongly incorporate each element into the core of the game, but I'd always end up with one being a lot weaker than the others. Emblem was giving the most trouble if I recall; I'd end up tacking it on as some sort of vague symbol and not being very happy about it.

If I enter this year I'll almost certainly include all four elements, but I won't feel so bad if I've only got three "strong" elements and one "weak" one.
The elements are definitely less abstract this year.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement