🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Automated Download script

Started by
4 comments, last by Instigator 16 years, 9 months ago
Everyday there's a new file at "somesite.com/today.zip" I'm trying to create a script in Gentoo that will download the file on a regular basis to a new folder. Can a bash script do this... or Do I need PHP / PERL? Its basically just downloading the .zip file from the server and storing it in a folder in based on date.
Advertisement
man wget
man cron
man date
Thank you.. I'm on my way to a great start now!!
This entire program runs on a Linux server in my basement (has no monitor hooked up) so....

I'm pretty much done the entire thing. BUT, I'm trying to have a way to turn off the automatic daily downloads on my Linux server from my windows XP computer.

What I mean by this is having a bash script on the Linux box. Lets call it "powerOFF.sh" and a script called "powerON.sh".

Now, while in windows I want to have 2 simple batch files that I execute which when run - connects to my Linux Box (via ssh) and runs "powerON.shh" likewise a batch run in windows which can run "powerOFF.sh"

This shouldn't be too complicated, Sander might know what to do.. but anyways, I looked into public-key Authentication and its all setup on both sides. I have my .ppk key on my windows machine.

Now what?
You need to connect using a secure shell to your box and run a script there. PuTTY can do this in batch-mode.
Thanks for your reply. I have public key authentication set up and I have Putty/Plink setup. However, apparently my public key authentication setup has a "passphrase". However, Plink doesn't support the SSH logins via a passphrase in public key authentication. So how on earth can I turn my passphrase off??

I searched through the /etc/ssh/sshd_config and it seems like there's nothing in there to turn the passphrase off. What must I do to turn the passphrase off?

My Linux box is running 'GentooX', the added 'X' for it being a modified version of Gentoo for the Xbox.

EDIT :D :D .. I figured it out, I just needed to change the way puttygen.exe was creating the .ppk files.

[Edited by - Instigator on September 23, 2007 10:54:32 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement