Advertisement

Help!!! What would you choose?

Started by August 29, 2007 10:06 PM
5 comments, last by Hyper Sonic 17 years, 1 month ago
Hi everyone, I have two laptops to choose from and the video card is what is keeping me from choosing the big one. Here are the specifications (it's gonna be a gift so price is not a problem ;) ): [First Option] Toshiba A105-(don't rememb this number) Intel Core Duo T2400 1.83 Ghz 667MHz FSB RAM: 1 GB PC2-4300 DDR2 266 MHz (expandable to 4 GB) 15" Diagonal Widescreen 100 GB Hard Drive Wireless 802.11 a/g DVD SuperMulti (not sure if double layer but i think so) Video: nVidia GeForce Go 7300 256 MB in video memory [Second Option] Toshiba P205-6337 Intel® Core 2 Duo T5300 1.73GHz 533MHz FSB RAM: 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz SDRAM (expandable to 4 GB) 17" Diagonal Widescreen XGA+ TruBrite™ Display* (1440 x900) 200 GB Hard Drive Wireless 802.11 a/g/n DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) with Labelflash drive Video: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-256MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory I have my doubts because of the video card. I was looking for specs and I think the Intel video is not bad, and it beats (in numbers) some GeForce Go 7300 numbers: http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/index.htm http://www.nvidia.com/page/go_7300.html http://www.nvidia.com/page/go_7300_features.html I'm specially concerned about the ability to have 2 different desktops working with different applications at the same time (I'm planning to develop software with this functionallity, so this is a plus for my decision). I know this is possible with GeForce Go 7300 and I think it's possible with Intel card, but I'm not sure. What do you suggest me? Thanks.
Neither of the cards are for playing games, so it doesn't really matter which you choose. If the laptop will be used to play somewhat modern games you'll have to find a laptop with a Geforce 7600 or 8600. The 15" seems to be a bit dated too, since it uses quite old components. The 17" is a bit better, but 17" is quite a lot to walk around with. Better to buy a desktop computer in that case.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Perost
Neither of the cards are for playing games, so it doesn't really matter which you choose. If the laptop will be used to play somewhat modern games you'll have to find a laptop with a Geforce 7600 or 8600. The 15" seems to be a bit dated too, since it uses quite old components. The 17" is a bit better, but 17" is quite a lot to walk around with. Better to buy a desktop computer in that case.

Your're right! 17" seems not so portable for me, but I can give it a try and Yes, the 15" is outdated, it comes with Windows XP and is Vista capable but I don't want to mess with Windows Vista (which is included in 17" model). Also I'm developing actively for Windows XP, so if I choose the 17" model, I need to install alternatively (or format) Windows XP, but Toshiba's driver page for the 17" model offers only Vista drivers (and three XP drivers related to bios, bluetooth and fingerprint) so I'm not sure if I should choose the 17" laptop.

Thanks for your comments.
I'd go with the geforce one, everything i've read about the integrated intel card is that its crap. I'm assuming they both come with vista, so if you go with the geforce one you'll want a second gig of ram.

What's it going to be used for?

*EDIT* i'd still go with the second gig of ram
Quote: Original post by Funkymunky
I'd go with the geforce one, everything i've read about the integrated intel card is that its crap. I'm assuming they both come with vista, so if you go with the geforce one you'll want a second gig of ram.

What's it going to be used for?

*EDIT* i'd still go with the second gig of ram

For the near future, it's going to be used for basic Windows XP (and lower) games development (no 3D or pixel shader stuff), but I'm planning to develop applications that take advantage of video cards power to implement two different desktops at different displays (I'm unsure if the intel option does this thing).

Thanks for your comments.
If you're not doing 3D (and not playing 3D games), the GMA 950 is a fine graphics chip, and draws less power than the 7300. My laptop can switch between 950 and 7400, and I get at least 30% longer runtime with the 950.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by hplus0603
If you're not doing 3D (and not playing 3D games), the GMA 950 is a fine graphics chip, and draws less power than the 7300. My laptop can switch between 950 and 7400, and I get at least 30% longer runtime with the 950.

That's an interesting advantage. Do you know if GMA 950 implements Dual Display and if so, how good is it's performance with two different desktops?

Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement