Advertisement

external harddrive

Started by August 23, 2007 03:05 PM
14 comments, last by CProgrammer 17 years, 1 month ago
Well I looked at RAID and that seems like a good idea. Ill have to look into how viable it is to set something like this up.
If price is no object, please also look into offsite backup. It is not too expensive to purchase hosting space somewhere and set up a cron job on your local machine to back up your repositories to a server on the other side of the planet.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by CProgrammer
2.) I dont want a usb stick. Too small, gets lost and im skeptical about realibility, I want very reliable.

A good USB stick (Corsair has some, the rubber casing makes them near indestructible) is far more reliable than a harddrive, and the Voyager GT's are ridiculously fast. If you're concerned about loosing, get one which has a loop you can attach things to (the Corsair Voyagers have this and come with a fairly large and obvious lanyard). So aside from physical size a USB stick would be an excellent match for your criteria. As has already been said though using a RAID setup is by far a better solution for reliable data storage, you shouldn't be carting your primary data storage around with you as Murphy will guarenttee bad things will happen to it.
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
Ivedecided to look into having my own server for backups using something like svn subversion.
I know I could use any computer for this but that doesnt seem sensible. Are there any machines specifically designed for this. I mean it needs no graphics card, etc. Any recommendations?

-CProgrammer
My SVN server for years was a P200 I found in someone's garbage. It doesn't need to be a specialized machine, though you might want to look into the Kurobox or something of that type.

Moving to hardware.
Quote: Original post by Ravuya
My SVN server for years was a P200 I found in someone's garbage. It doesn't need to be a specialized machine, though you might want to look into the Kurobox or something of that type.

Moving to hardware.

Hmm the kurobox seems interesting. Although I find it somewhat strange that I cant buy it with a HDD built in.
Ive also found this:
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/tower/x3105/index.html

What do you guys think?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement