🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Tux Box

Started by
8 comments, last by SirCyr 23 years, 2 months ago
Hello there I was reading the news that the Indrema system was dead and that a new project called the tuxbox was meant to replace it. I must say it looks pretty interesting, and maybe even more then the Indrema(that name sucked)... I hope it will succed. what do you think?
Advertisement
As posted on Slashdot:

quote:
Don't people learn from previous mistakes?

I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall

Edited by - Muzzafarath on April 20, 2001 12:14:20 PM
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
quote: Original post by SirCyr
I must say it looks pretty interesting, and maybe even more then the Indrema(that name sucked)...

As if the name Tux Box isn''t a terrible name? They might as well have gone with LinuxStation or PenguinCube. At least Indrema wasn''t a clear ripoff name from their competition.

Jesse
I think the name TuxBox sucks too. Are they trying to fool the people with XBox? :-)

Patrick Lafleur

System Engineer
Creation Objet Inc.
What about the tuxedo

I think that the TuxBox isn''t going to do even as good as the Indrema was doing (and not just because it has a bad name). The market isn''t ripe for it at the moment. That''s the whole reason the Indrema died, and unless they have a lot of funding up front, it''s going to be a hard and fruitless road most likely.

"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual referred to a "pointer to void." --Things People Said
Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://druidgames.cjb.net/
the name does suck. i cant really seeing it go bust though as it doesnt look like its a business at all. though will they actually produce a model for the marketplace is a different story. best of luck to them anyways.

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux
Given the fact that they have members who are so childish that they have literally pissed off electrical engineers and game developers left and right (one called Mark Collins a slut for writing a book), I don''t forsee this project as having the maturity needed to maintain a congent and active devteam.

In short.. I think that if a cool game gets ported to Linux, they''ll lose half their developers.

Magnwa
The TuxBox does not have the same buisness model as the Indrema. It is made by members of the Open Source Community, anyone can get involved in the project if they want to. This console may not succeed in the real world, but it isn''t necessarily out there to do so: no one is trying to make money off of it so far. It''s just an open source project for the open source community. If the TuxBox fails another group will start up. That is the great thing about Open Source, an idea never dies as long as someone wants to be involved.

Also, i''m not exactly sure that TuxBox will be the final name (I sure hope not).
magnwa: You''re stalking me, aren''t you!? (see my user info)

Word of warning: Anyone caught discussing the TuxBox in my forum will be spank, severly. Sean Isley and Travis RIley are a pair of asshole. ''nuff said.

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement