Advertisement

Building a new computer

Started by July 17, 2007 06:08 PM
13 comments, last by nullsquared 17 years, 2 months ago
Not bad, but I would go for the Intel chips. They seem to be running the show (and circles around AMD).

Be sure that you have at least 2gb of ram (on separate channels, of course). Just be sure to get Corsair or Kingston. Any less and I would imagine it would be a bottleneck for that 8800 you're throwing in there. Also, I assume you won't be using SLI in the future?

I haven't heard much about that brand of motherboards, but if you want to buy something now (since it's out of stock) you could look into Gigabyte or Asus for a motherboard.

Plus a 40GB isn't going to hold out long if you're installing games AND making them. I think the DirectX SDK alone was a few gigs, if I remember right. If you're looking into hard drives, I recommend Seagate. I believe you can get a SATAII 400GB Seagate from Newegg for about $120.

As far as the case goes, I imagine that the one you have will be fine. Just make sure that it has enough room for all the components. I can't remember off the top of my head, but was it steel or aluminum that played a big role in keeping the system a bit cool?

Make sure your configuration provides a lot of air flow too. Have fans bring in air in the front, and push it out in the back (your case has the slots for them, so that's good!).

Also, I agree with MARS_999. I believe if you want a PSU, go with PC Power & Cooling.

Good luck! It's a lot more fun to build a PC than to select one from Dell. =P
If you want to know the best power supply for you, use a Power Supply Calculator :)
<br/>GDNet journal: Endeavours On Managed Code Land
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by JacksonEMG
Not bad, but I would go for the Intel chips. They seem to be running the show (and circles around AMD).

Yeah I agree. The Core2 chips (duo or quattro) blow the current AMD chips out of the water. I was a big AMD fanboy for a long time, but right now there's no functional reason to pick them over the intel chips.

And as for PSU, I'd actually suggest more wattage. the 8800 is a big power hog. the last thing you want is to be underpowered (AFAIK only 750W and up PSUs are reccomended for SLI if you ever want to go that route). But I don't really have empirical evidence to back this up so whatever.... Either way, do not go cheap on the PSU, it's one of the most important components for system stability (and that PSU is crazy cheap...) Since the rest of your system is so pimped out I'd suggest a pimped out PSU (the PC Power & Cooling brand is the king of PSUs; maybe overpriced but super reliable)

-me
Quote: Original post by JacksonEMG

Very good advice.

To comment on power supplies, don't skim by with something cheap because you will regret it. Quality is more important than wattage, and for quality I personally recommend Antec but you're probably OK with whatever if it gets reviewed well. As for processors, Intel's Core 2 Duos are probably the best for your money right now. I wouldn't even bother with AMD until they pick up their slack.

Let us know what you finally decided!
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
Quote: Original post by Crypter
Hey everyone,

For some time now, I have been planning to build myself a good PC--both
cool looking, and one that will be DX 10 compatible, and a very good gaming
machine. One that could play my games very well, and the ones I make.

This is what I was thinking:

Rosewill TU-155 Black 0.8mm SGCC Steel ATX Mid Tower (Already have)

You already have that case?... Looks kinda small and not well ventilated... I think something like this will suit you better for new components...
CM Centurion 5 (windowed)
Quote:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor

The above is O.K. I have it. Overclocks to around 2.8GHz. I suggest an X2 3600+ as it is 65nm and I believe it costs less.
Quote:
ECS NFORCE4M-A (V1.1) Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 4X ATX AMD Motherboard

DO NOT GET THAT PIECE OF GARBAGE. I repeat, DO NOT. ECS boards are crap, that's what they are. I had the ... "pleasure" of personally testing it.
Quote:
XFX PVT80GTHF9 GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Hm. Ok. Might be better to go down a bit to the 320MB and choose out some better components for the rest of the rig.
Quote:
This looks good: RAIDMAX Hybrid 2 RX-530SS ATX12V 530W Power Supply 100

Not sure about raidmax. Don't go cheap on the PSU. It is the heart of the system. Trust me, it's not a part that just "fits" into whatever is left of your budget.
Quote:
Along with a (currently 40GB HDD, which I have), DDR2 SDRAM, And a CD/DVD R/RW
drive--duel sided, if possible.

Hm. Drive is kinda small. Serial or parallel ATA?
Quote:
This is the first time im attempting to build a PC, so Im looking for
suggestions, or if there is any problems with the above list?

What do you think?

*edit: Fixed link.

What's your MAX budget?

Here's a good base that I suggest to most people. We'll chomp it and stomp it once we know your budget.

gigabyte ds3 ga-965P - 110$

Cheap C2D:
C2D E4400 - 126$ - OCs very well

Corsair 2gigs DDR2 800 [2x1GB] - 110$ - I got 1 gig for the same price a year ago. Prices fly by so fast...

EVGA 8800GTS 320MB [OCed] - 280$ - it has a pretty satisfying factory overclock

Corsair 620W - 170$ - just an example of a good PSU. You can drop down to it's little brother (520W, 120$), or another good PSU. OCZ... PC Power and Cooling... Antec. Enermax. Fortron source (FSP group). Don't cheap out, or it'll kill your system.

LG DVD/CD RW - 28$ - a happy little camper [smile]. I have it. Ignore the dumbass that gave it 0 eggs because it came DOA.

That's a good system. Depending on your budget, we'll add/remove/change stuff.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement