🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

keyboard error cant get working in either language

Started by
6 comments, last by carlsfinch 17 years ago
Hi, I recently downloaded, and installed Code::Blocks, and said hey, it´s time to start coding, but found out that ¨ ¨ my single and double quotes isn´t being read with the compiler, the computer or something, for it keeps giving me illegal character where the line of code is. I thought at first it was just Code::Blocks, and the GCC compiler which I had no idea how to fix, but then I downloaded and installed the latest JDK 6u1 edition, and the latest preview edition of Bluej and when I thought I was making good code I got the same problem of illegal character at this line of code, but it only happens when I try to make the ´ ' and ¨ single, and double quotes? So it must be a keyboard configuration board. So, here is what my keyboard configuration is, and please if you can help let me know. Thanks, Keyboard Preferences (From System > Keyboard) Tabbed to Keyboard Layout Keyboard Model: Generic 105-key (Intl) PC Selected Layout: USA Right handed Dvorak I don´t know what else to put. Please give me any information on how to figure out what keyboard layout I have. It is the same I have seen on every Gateway machine since I am using a Gateway M320 Edition.
c.s. Finch
Advertisement
Well, I assume you're programming in C++ or something similar, and the left tick ` isn't a valid character (that I know of). Double-quotes should be fine under that configuration, unless you're typing single-quotes twice or something strange, but I wouldn't dare suggest that's actually what's happening.

Can you post the code you're trying to compile?

While you're at it, why not post /proc/bus/input as well.
We''re sorry, but you don''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)
Quote: Original post by carlsfinch
Keyboard Model: Generic 105-key (Intl) PC
Selected Layout: USA Right handed Dvorak

Well, is your keyboard Dvorak? I was under the impression that regular QWERTY keyboards were more common, meaning you'd want something like "US English" or "US English (intl)" as the layout. If it is a Dvorak keyboard, then I guess you'll have to try one of the other Dvorak layouts.
OK, so here it is I will send both of you a private message today, because I really need to get this fix. This is both in Java, and C++ no matter what I try to code in I get errors.

In C++ I´m getting

error: stray \302
error: stray \250

and in Java I´m getting

character \168

note it only becomes an error when I try to use the quotes.
c.s. Finch
Maybe you could post the info in this thread instead of taking this to PMs. That way, if other people ever have similar issues they can have a chance of solving their problem based on what you find out, so everyone can benefit from your questions and answers.
FWIW...

The single quote is the ' character, but what you typed here was ´ (acute accent). The double quote character is ", but you typed ¨ (diaeresis). I don't know if they look the same on your system, but here they're very different. The characters you typed definitely aren't ASCII.
Quote: Original post by let_bound
FWIW...

The single quote is the ' character, but what you typed here was ´ (acute accent). The double quote character is ", but you typed ¨ (diaeresis). I don't know if they look the same on your system, but here they're very different. The characters you typed definitely aren't ASCII.

Good job you found the problem I have been so desperately trying to explain to people. The double quotes on my keyboard as I see as a picture is here ¨ but that is the diaeresis character so where is the double quote character at on my keyboard if it isn´t where it should be?

And what are dead keys? Maybe it has something to do with that with my configuration of first using US International (use dead keys) then without em. I´m so confused right now with my keyboard. I can type all of the alphabet and all numbers, but when it comes to symbols I can type the correct symbol I see on my keyboard that I want to type. What is up with this dang keyboard configuration over here? Eh, someone help me please.

Let me know what you would like me to post here and I will as it might be a future problem for people, and p.s. I would post it as a hey thanks for the help through the community if you have this problem read this forum type-of-post.

Another thing I have found if I press ¨ that is (diaeresis symbol) but if I press that with shift, and spacebar I get my " <-- double quotes and if I press
' I get my singles quotes spacebar + ´ = ' So how do I get it to be like my little keyboard should be? I am using a Gateway M320, so someone please figure something out.

peace

[Edited by - carlsfinch on July 2, 2007 11:47:40 AM]
c.s. Finch
Found the problem. It was the option of the Keyboard layout just plain old US English look """"""""""" all day long """"""" Well I like linux, it's a good challenge, and a something to do as a hobby.

peace
c.s. Finch

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement