hardware problem help needed

Started by
1 comment, last by Gaenor 17 years, 2 months ago
Hi, Recently my computer has been crashing during games (completely powers down). It happens once every few days. About 10 seconds before the crash my mouse started to act funny - that is the sensitivity drops to practically 0. Then when I go to turn my machine back nothing happens apart from my case fans spinning. I must then switch it on and off a few times until it boots up. Once it has recovered from its ordeal my computer is 100% until the next time it crashes. I also get a bsod (in game) every now and then saying there could be a problem with the device or the device driver. I dont get any artifacts. My machine is Core 2 duo 6400 MSI 8800 gts pre-OC 575/850 Asrock dual pci-e & agp. 2 gb pc4200 ddr2 533 mhz. atrix 650w psu. I have been reading that other people have had similar problems from different brands (gtx and gts) so I think its a driver problem, im on the latest 158.22 drivers. At idle the temperative is 55 degrees. If it was overheating I think I would crash on a regular basis. Any ideas? [Edited by - RivieraKid on June 17, 2007 4:51:00 AM]
Advertisement
i have discovered by using another graphics card that the problem is not the graphics card.

However I have noticed that my main power connecter for the motherboard doesnt clip in and it seams to boot instantly when I resit it. I think it is causing a power failure. How would you recommend I keep it firmly in place? sellotape?

could my psu being cutting out randomly at high load? It cuts out when using an x800 xt aswell which worked fine under a 400w.
It sounds quite similar to something that happened to me.

From time to time, it would power down on its own. Then restarting would lead to about 2 hours working properly. Later, I would have to try turning it on and off 5 or 6 times to get it to boot. In the end, the time it worked properly shortened to about 2 minutes IF it booted at all.

Through trial and error I discovered that the culprit was the cable connecting the psu to the hard disk; not the psu, just that cable, because without connecting the hard drive it would boot fine. You may want to try turning it on with just the motherboard.
So, after changing to a new psu, everything is working fine (for 3 months now).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement