Advertisement

Graphics Card Drivers and no movies

Started by May 05, 2007 10:46 AM
2 comments, last by Don Quioxte 17 years, 4 months ago
Well, I did upgrade my graphics card about a month ago, and I did have problems earlier with a BSOD error, though I seemed to fix that with a graphics card driver update (haven't had it since then). Though...before that I never did have problems with watching videos online. Now that I upgraded to the latest versions I can not watch movies on the internet that run on the embedded versions of Quick Time and Windows Media Player, though flash movies work just fine. If I do click on a video that runs in one of those programs on the internet, my computer goes VERY VERY VERY VERY slow. I mean so slow, that you can see it redrawing everything. Seriously. I did run IE 7, and I go..."let's switch to Firefox and see if that fixes it." Well, it kind of did...though not really. In IE7 the computer just crash after a few minutes. In Firefox, it is still accessible, though kind of slow, but I can end the program with the task manager. Now that is not all that makes me think it is a graphics card driver issue. The video is NOT even rendered in the video player, but the sound plays just fine! I mean...the computer will be going so slow that you can see everything being redrawn but at the same time the sound is playing at the regular speed. Before I updated I read some forums about this happening on earlier versions (but still newer then the ones I updated FROM), but I read numerous times that it was fixed in the latest version that I have. My specs are below. Dell Dimension 3000 GeForce 6200 PCI ONLY card (My mother board sucks, so I can't do PCI-Express or AGP. I will be updating my computer in about a year exactly for when I go to college, I can actually get a good developing/gaming computer). 1 GIG of RAM Driver Version: 93.71 Note that I have had these drivers for about little less then a month now, but I just now got around to posting this. Does anyone know what could be causing this? PS: If this is posted in the wrong place, feel free to move it. I was not sure where to put this exactly. Chad. [Edited by - Chad Smith on May 5, 2007 3:42:30 PM]
I had a problem with video playback once and it seemed to be an issue with the graphics card driver. But it wasn't. Only after the correct chipset drivers for the motherboard were installed the playback was okay. So maybe you can try out this, perhaps it works.
Advertisement
Well, I would love to do that, but the thing is...I am not the greatest with hardware. I mean, I kind of know a lot about it, but where to look on my computer to see what chipset I have is beyond me.

I have used Windows Device Manager, though I do not know which is my mother board chip family. Can anyone help me with this maybe? I feel dumb though, as I feel it should be simple finding it out.

Chad.

Dell's website has the chipset drivers for your computer. (assuming you haven't changed the motherboard)

Other than that and trying new video drivers (also try downgrading, it might help), you could try another PCI video card. If that's it, then you'll know for sure that it's a video card issue.
[sub]-------------------------So impact forces are measured in Ford-Taurus-miles-per-hour in the U.S.? - Trapper Zoid[/sub]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement