Advertisement

New harddrive, would this clicking sound be bad?

Started by May 05, 2007 04:11 AM
4 comments, last by daviangel 17 years, 4 months ago
I just bought a sata2 (though im only runnning it as sata) 500gig seagate ST3500630AS hard drive and it makes this clicking sound when copying files to it, though it made none during the like 2 hour format. Heres the clicking sound, could someone tell me if I should be worried? You might have to turn the sound up. I've never heard a hard drive click when it was copying, though it is pretty large so I dunno. thx edit: though when copying off it, it doesnt make the sound [Edited by - johnnyBravo on May 5, 2007 4:28:03 AM]
If it's a continous clicking sound that doesn't go away be very afraid since you harddrive is about to bite the dust.
I'd do a smart check on it at least and run seagate tools online on it.
If it's a raptor drive or scsi drive it's harder to tell since those drives are usually noisy and it's harder to tell the clicking sound the actuator arm is making vs a head crash clicking sound.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Advertisement
Hmm it comes up as not supported in the tools:

the bottom one being it, and also it isn't showing the full serial number either.

The clicking is like every couple of seconds
Perhaps you don't have S.M.A.R.T enabled in your bios? My bios disabled it by default.
I couldnt find any smart options, and on the net i couldnt see any smart in the specifications of my motherboard (abit nf7-s v2.0)
Well something is not right here since it's saying the drive is a scsi drive in the pic you posted and you clearly stated it was a sata drive?
On the otherhand if you do have a scsi drive like I said it's normal to be noisy and that would explain why seatools for windows isn't working on it since I believe it doesn't test scsi drives.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement