Advertisement

4e6

Started by February 24, 2007 06:58 PM
433 comments, last by sirGustav 17 years ago
Quote: Original post by superpig
Quote: Original post by d000hg
You may or may not be correct - I've not done any Flex yet ;) If there is a standalone plugin on top of the Flash 9 one, can I assume that won't be a problem?

If there is, and it's not something that your entry can include, then it's a problem. But as I said, I'm pretty sure it just requires Flash 9, which is ok.
Yeah, Flex 2 (and the 3 beta) target the Flash 9 player. If you have the Flash 9 player, you can play Flex content. There are no other plugins necessary.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

Another question, will Java 6 be available?

Not really necessary, but the scripting stuff is yummy.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by ToohrVyk
Quote: Original post by ShaneHeres
But it would be nice if we all start from scratch with nothing prepared before hand.

It would also be nice if we all had the same kind of time available to work on this, and the same team size, and so on. I have two jobs, an internship, two roleplaying groups to GM, several parties to set up, and the Lorwyn prerelase frenzy to further eat up my time, so my 'game development time' is probably more limited than that of most other participants.

It wouldn't be fair if I didn't get some kind of headstart, would it?

I have work all day and college at night. I also don't have a team. Not really the same constraints.. but im sure I'll be able to finish in the time given.

enalpria.uni.cc
Quote: Original post by ShaneHeres
I have work all day and college at night. I also don't have a team. Not really the same constraints.. but im sure I'll be able to finish in the time given.
Look, the point is that we aren't all going to be able to code up an engine and game code, create art and music, and make a full game work in six months. I, for one, don't have the time to devote to it, and recognize (after entries in 4e3, 4e4, and a notable non-entry in 4e5) that teams should recognize constraints and use pre-existing content when needed to finish a game.

Some of the most fun games I've seen in previous entries have used pre-existing engines. I highly doubt I would have been able to play those games at all if they had tried to write an engine from the ground up in the time given.

For me, I would reuse some simple Photoshop brushes and masks that I've created for past entires (I can't, because they're on a hard drive in another country), and some music shortcuts I created in Reason (again, in another country). However, I will gladly allow XNA to let me script things instead of forcing pi=3 to code a custom scripting language and implementation software.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
I take for granted that I use probably the easiest game development tool and don't have to worry about all the intricate things real programmers/designers do. Your right, I myself will be using some pre-made content (Mostly just music). It just sounded a little like people were starting on their entries all ready.
enalpria.uni.cc
There is nothing specific in the rules that says we can't use stuff we already have for the contest.

The fact that the contest ends in six months is just so that it will actually end some time, not to test our skills in "Who can build the best game in six months".

superpig, correct me if I'm wrong. :)
------------------"Kaka e gott" - Me
Advertisement
It's a game development competition, not a technology development competition. If you can adapt existing tech to meet your ends rather than writing everything yourself from scratch, more power to you.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by superpig
Yes, Flash 9 will be supported.

Silverlight is probably a no though. Does it work in browsers other than IE yet?

As far as I'm aware, yeah. It works on most browsers, and with Linux support as well. (Not sure about Mac)

Of course, I could be wrong. Haven't actually tried using it. :)
I think Silverlight's probably a no as the install base for the plugin is still so small. Maybe next year.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Scott Guthrie (MSFT) says "Although I haven't tried it myself, I have seen several people host Silverlight in their own application shell. This would enable you to run the application offline and outside of the browser." If that were the case, of course, it wouldn't matter whether SilverLight was supported.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement