Advertisement

Wireless G and N Standard

Started by January 22, 2007 04:53 PM
3 comments, last by Gaiiden 17 years, 7 months ago
Can someone please tell me their experiences with a wireless-N router. I've got G-standard at the moment. I searched google only to find that most people find that the N is actually slower than the G. Is this true in your experience?
I thought I came to the right place to ask this kind of question. The reason I'm asking is because I transfer a lot of files (via wireless) to my home server and back from my Pc.

At the moment I get about 1.2 MBps which is about 9Mbps... and I want to know about the wireless N-solution.
Advertisement
I'd think that it would depend on the quality of the N router.

Plus, (correct me if I'm wrong) N isn't a standard yet, the draft N wireless gear that you'll get might not be compatible with its final version.

It would also depend on the distance transferred and the materials that the signal is going through.

If you need really fast transfers, wired is still the best.

As a sidenote, you might want to post things like this in the hardware forum.
[sub]-------------------------So impact forces are measured in Ford-Taurus-miles-per-hour in the U.S.? - Trapper Zoid[/sub]
Quote: Original post by Don Quioxte
Plus, (correct me if I'm wrong) N isn't a standard yet, the draft N wireless gear that you'll get might not be compatible with its final version.

Nope you're right, I was gonna say as much myself but the connection crapped out for a bit :P The N spec isn't set to be ratified until later on this year, and yea that means you could end up with an incompatible product. I say wait.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

802.11n Finished 1/08, Rubber Stamp Coming 10/08 [Gizmodo]

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement