Advertisement

License to use?

Started by May 31, 2006 09:54 AM
31 comments, last by Sander 18 years, 2 months ago
/*************************************************************************** *   Copyright (C) 2006 by BBB                         * *   $EMAIL$                                                               * *                                                                         * *   This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify  * *   it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2,       * *   as published by the Free Software Foundation;                         * *                                                                         * *   This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,       * *   but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of        * *   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the         * *   GNU General Public License version 2 for more details.                * *                                                                         * *   You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License     * *   along with this program; if not, write to the                         * *   Free Software Foundation, Inc.,                                       * *   59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307, USA.             * ***************************************************************************/

Does that sound ok? Should I add "Note that this software is licensed using GPL version 2 and no other version of GPL"?
Now I only have to find a full license-text of GPL 2 without the "or any later version"...

[Edited by - BBB on December 25, 2006 4:43:03 PM]
Quote: Original post by BBB
Are you guys interested in making your own Window Manager?
I'd be interested in reading your tutorial.

Advertisement
Quote: Original post by BBB
Okay, I sent an email to GNU a couple of days ago asking for a GPL-license text without the "or any later version"-part since I'm to lazy to edit it myself (and besides, it wouldn't really be GPL then IMO). Since I haven't got any reply from GNU I've decided to simply use the new BSD-license.

The GPL doesn't have the "or later version" bit. Only the blurb that you copy/paste at the beginning of a source file does (and you can remove that). Here's the GPL, and the blurb you can use at the top of source files is:

/* *  Program name - filename *  Copyright Year, Your name * *  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify *  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by *  the Free Software Foundation version 2 of the License only. * *  This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, *  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of *  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the *  GNU General Public License for more details. * *  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License *  along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software *  Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA. */

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement