Advertisement

4E5

Started by April 30, 2006 04:21 PM
148 comments, last by Avatar God 18 years, 3 months ago
Quote: Original post by Oberon_Command
Bananaphones, comets, lightsabers, and habitual nuclear holocaust.

Ringa ring ring, banana phone...

How long does this contest last? I might attempt to try it, although I don't think I have enough (programming)experience atm.
Quote: Original post by Servant of the Lord
Bananaphones, comets, lightsabers, and habitual nuclear holocaust.

Ringa ring ring, banana phone...

How long does this contest last? I might attempt to try it, although I don't think I have enough (programming)experience atm.

A long time, basically all summer.

AND GUESS WHO HAS NO JOB THIS SUMMER ^___^
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Mushu
AND GUESS WHO HAS NO JOB THIS SUMMER ^___^

APC's extra testicle?
Maybe I will try.

Well, last time it was five months. I'm thinking about extending that to six (so that it ends roughly the same time that I'll finish my university term, making it much easier for me to run the judging and sort out the prizes), and also setting some 'checkpoint' dates that people can use as guidelines on how far along they should be (e.g. "should have a basic game concept by now," "should have basic gameplay by now," "should only really be bug-fixing and polishing from now on").

Also, don't get too hung up on programming experience; we actively encourage the use of "alternative" tools, if they suit your idea, so that you can get your game put together by the most efficient means possible. Of the top five games in 4E4, the winner was made in GameMaker, and another was made in Flash. The only significant caveat is that it be able to run standalone, so unfortunately you can't really do your entry as a mod (unless you've got the rights to distribute the original game along with your entry).

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Thanks. I will enter this year's then. I don't plan on getting too high a rank though [grin], but hey, I could use the experience and it might be fun.

Advertisement
Thanks. I will enter this year's then. I don't plan on getting too high a rank though [grin], but hey, I could use the experience and it might be fun.

You'll get lots of experience out of 4E5. I entered last year, and although I didn't complete my project (school related), I still learned a whole lot, and I can now get past most programming problems much more quickly than before.
Darn. My plate is too full to even try to compete this year. I'm still finishing off my entry from a contest that ended two months ago. [grin]
You'll get lots of experience out of 4E5. I entered last year, and although I didn't complete my project (school related), I still learned a whole lot, and I can now get past most programming problems much more quickly than before.

I agree. I did the same for the Seeing Double contest. I managed to finish it, but it didn't seem very popular. Doesn't matter. I got some experience out of it (working with a deadline is always an experience), and it was fun. Just to see your own game there on the listing is enough of a reason to make the game :). And, who knows, perhaps you do have talent?

6 months is quite another timeframe than 2 weeks, of course. It seems awefully long to me :). But anyway, I think I'll join. Why not?
Quote: Original post by AmarthIt seems awefully long to me :).

Trust me, it can seem VERY short when you start getting overloaded with homework when school stars... I glad the contest starts about the time I get out of the school, otherwise I'd be delayed quite a bit.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement