Advertisement

c shell in Ubuntu

Started by April 28, 2006 06:17 AM
13 comments, last by gumpy 18 years, 4 months ago
I'm new to Linux so I have no idea how to do anything. I am trying to install a printer but when I get to the part where I have to install the LPR stuff (I have no idea what they are) it says that it can't do it because c shell isn't installed. I'm using Ubuntu (Breezy Badger) and I know that it doesn't come with c shell. Where do I get it and how do I install it? Any tutorials would be great. Thanks.
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
i've never even used a printer under linux so i have no idea, but the following should help if you don't get an answer here.

Quote:
If you're looking for immediate personal interaction, you can ask questions directly to the Ubuntu community in our IRC channel. To use it, join the channel #ubuntu on irc.freenode.net. If you are very new to Ubuntu, and haven't used IRC before, find the XChat program from Applications->Internet on your Ubuntu desktop. Then login to irc.freenode.net and join the #ubuntu channel.

personally i'd recommend suse 10 over ubuntu for a beginnner.
This space for rent.
Advertisement
That's the other thing...I haven't gotten the internet working yet either [grin]
If by "c shell" it means csh, you can install it with synaptic (the graphical package manager ubuntu uses) - but if you can't get the computer connected to the internet this isn't an option.
Quote: Original post by DigiDude
That's the other thing...I haven't gotten the internet working yet either [grin]

in that case, i again recommend suse. [lol]

ubuntu 5.10's installation and setup aren't all that great and i call bullshit on the newbie-friendly claims. if the livecd doesn't work properly and you aren't familiar with linux, you're going to end up frustrated and clueless with an actual installation.

almost forgot, if you decide to try suse, choose the kde desktop! trust me on that. also use the 64-bit version if you have a 64-bit cpu.
This space for rent.
Can't you install csh from the CD? I think it's there (can't check, I don't have a CD around. I gave them all away :-)

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Advertisement
check out slax n fedora aswell
Thanks for the replys guys. I'm not able to post at home which is why I took so long.

gumpy macdrunken, I'll look at suse but I would like to try to get ubuntu working before switching to another distribution (Ubuntu just took too long to install[smile])

Will F, could I download the package on another computer and just transfer it to my ubuntu computer? Where can I get it (i've searched for it but I'm not sure what to download)

Sander, I checked the CD but if it was there I wouldn't know. All I could find was a bunch of package thingys but nothing that seemed like it would be csh.
Put the CD in the drive. Go to System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager. Click Settings -> Repositories and check that the CD is in the list (or add it if it's not). Click OK to close the Repositories dialog and click the Update button on the main interface. If you do not have internet, synapic may complain that it could not get to a bunch of repositories. Don't worry about that.

Then, hit Ctrl + F, enter "tcsh" and Search. A new list of packages comes up. Right-click on tcsh, select "Mark for installation", click teh dialog away and hit the "Apply" button on the main screen. Synaptic will install tcsh for you and report any problems.

It you cannot install tcsh this way, try the csh package.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Someone said "Choose KDE"...why?... I assume this is GNOME vs KDE... i use GNOME... and I've never used KDE, does KDE have any sort of advantage over GNOME? is it all preference? What factors would guide a choice between the two desktops?

thanks
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement