Advertisement

Automatic Update Between Servers?

Started by April 24, 2006 08:27 PM
1 comment, last by Bregma 18 years, 4 months ago
So I have this program, and I compile this program and update it on a daily bases. Now I manage about 10 servers, and about 5 accounts that uses this compiled program. This is what I do: I manually download the newly compiled file through FTP. and upload them individually one by one. So with a total of 50 accounts, this is very frustrating to do. Is there a way to automate this process of updating between servers? I'm running a freeBSD box.
FTP is an extremely slow, insecure and inefficient process.

What you really want, is to use something like rsync over ssh.

Also, if you have 5 users using the same app, they should be running the same binaries not having their own copy of the binary in their home dir - it uses less memory (i.e. readonly executable pages can be shared) and is easier to maintain.

Personally I'd say, either have a cron job which pushes the updates out using rsync over ssh (use a RSA key so you don't need to enter the password in this cron job), or have a readonly NFS server on your central box, and have the machines locally pull copies on their own individual cron jobs.

Mark
Advertisement
Have a single central server provide an NFS mount ('file share" in Microsoft parlance). Put the binary file there. Have all 50 account include the NFS-mounted directory in their path. No push of the binary, no pull of the binary, no problem.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement