Advertisement

Firefox .part file and resuming downloads?

Started by January 27, 2006 11:07 AM
6 comments, last by rip-off 10 years, 3 months ago
Is there anyway to get firefox to resume downloads? I have the .part file it generates and the empty file with the correct filename. I've been trying to download 3DMark06 (590MB) and the download has crapped out 3 times already (once in IE and twice in FF) from 3 different sources (2 from FS, 1 from GH). Now I'm left with a 300MB .part file from firefox and wondering if I can resume the download somehow? When the download stopped the resume/pause buttons no longer worked in FF and trying to download the file again, FF decided to remove the previous one from the list. So any way to resume the download? I don't want another crapped out download (already wasted ~900MB with them). I tried replacing another downloads .part file with the fuller one but FF wouldn't take it. :( Or can you suggest a program that will allow me to resume? Thanks
Bittorrent?
torrent file
Advertisement
I wrote a program to repair broken/corrupted downloads once, for the sole purpose of helping some poor dialup user that was trying to download the Farcry demo and it ended up being corrupted.

Unfortuantly it requires someone with a complete copy of the file to create a file full of checksums, and I'm not sure if there's anything special about Firefox's part files that would keep it from working.

Back when I was stuck with dialup, I used wget to download large files.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
I second wget - it's great for resuming downloads. It'd be nice if they had similar functionality built into Firefox.

Here's what you can do:

1. copy the 'filename.blah.part' to the wget directory. This is needed because Firefox keeps the file open, keeping wget from writing to the original.
2. rename it to 'filename.blah', removing the .part extension
3. run 'wget -c http://site/file.blah'
4. Wait. If the download stops again, run the 'wget -c http://site/file.blah' command again.

You can get wget for Windows here.

Or you could use smart-idiot's program. I've never used it, but it sounds great, except that it requires someone else to create the checksum file for you.

[edit] Made it clearer, and added the part that you have to copy the file and continue the download on the copy.

[Edited by - nagromo on July 9, 2006 4:22:41 PM]
Here's the program I wrote, if you want to try it.

Make sure 3DMark06_v102_installer.exe.part is in the same directory as it, and run repair.bat. You might want to edit the URL in the file to point to a faster server, if you can find one.

It'll print out a bunch of symbols, this is what they mean:

. The chunk appears to be fine.  # The chunk was damaged, but was re-downloaded successfully.  ? The chunk needs to be downloaded, but we were unable to connect to a server.  X The chunk was downloaded, but its checksum still isn't what it should be.  < The chunk seems to be okay, but it appeared before where it was supposed to.  > The chunk seems to be okay, but it appeared after where it was supposed to.

Since your part file in incomplete, eventually it'll start complaining about not being able to read from it. You can ignore it, it'll just download the missing data instead.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Sweet, thanks everyone.

I tried using wget but it doesn't seem to work really well with url's that I get from sites with some sort of download manager behind them (FileShack, GamersHell, etc). It told me a file was complete or simply just quit (missing info). I eventually found a mirror that worked though (although a bit slow).

I also found a program 'wackget' but on resume it would append from the beginning to the end of the file :(

I'm currently using the Repair program, thank you very much. You should make a GUI and sell it :)

Rate++'s
Advertisement

I know this is a bump but can you repost the download for your cool program or email it to dev@bitsfit.com

the link doesn't work

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/372052-firefox-part-file-and-resuming-downloads/smart-idiot.no-ip.com/repair.zip

01000110 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01011001 01101111 01110101 0100001

Please do not re-open old threads.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement