🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4e4] Ink Wars - Multiplayer Info

Started by
9 comments, last by Selsesstissan 18 years, 8 months ago
To play multiplayer have one person "Host" game and he must have ports 4567 and 4568(both UDP) forwarded to him through NAT or firewall. The other players(up to 6!) "Find Game" and put in the host's IP and hit refresh. There are tons of options for your game, just edit GameSettings.XML. The port can be changed there as well, where the game will use the listed port and the next one up. Enjoy! Fub PS If you really want to play around with the units: damage, speed, hitpoints, edit the other XML files. [Edited by - Fubeca on November 1, 2005 2:18:36 PM]
Advertisement
Since we've had a couple people now comment on not knowing how to play, here's a quick run-down:

You can draw on the cube by dragging with the left mouse button. The circle
that follows the cursor shows the area that will be affected by the path
drawn. Any units outside that area will ignore it.

You can rotate the cube by dragging the right mouse button. You can also jump to a face of the cube directly by clicking the buttons on the right or hitting F1-F6.

Hit the space bar to toggle drawing paths on and off. When off, you can
click inside the circle of any ink well (it will appear once you're inside
the area) with the same color and build a unit of that type.

To order your units to move over an edge to another face, just draw a path
over the edge.

Units are intended to kill each other in a paper-rock-scissors circle:
- Ninjas kill pirates
- Pirates kill zombies
- Zombies kill robots
- Robots kill ninjas

In addition to those, the units have the following special abilities:
- Ninjas are stealthy and can only be seen by opponents if they start
attacking.
- When your ninjas are inside the activation zone of an opponent's ink well,
that ink well stops producing ink for your opponent.
- Pirates have a ranged weapon
- Pirates can move ink wells. If you draw a path and the path starts inside
an ink well, then the pirates will start pushing the ink well along the path
- When zombies kill a ninja, pirate, or robot, that enemy unit turns into a zombie on your side.
- Zombies are the only unit that can capture ink wells you don't own. Just
move them inside the activation zone for an ink well. A progress bar will appear indicating how much time you have left.
- Robots are big and tough, having a lot more hit points and dealing more
damage than other units. They are also more expensive.
- Robots can also destroy ink wells. If you draw a path that ends inside an
ink well, the robot will follow the path and then start attacking the ink
well.

If you have any other questions, just post here so we don't clutter up other threads.

Thanks!
-Tom
REALLY COOL idea! I love it :)

That pirate guy looks like some of the navy people I work with. YARRRRR!
Young Doc: No wonder this circuit failed. It says "Made in Japan".Marty McFly: What do you mean, Doc? All the best stuff is made in Japan.Young Doc: Unbelievable.
Hey all - Few more details about the game:

Inkwells also are your unit limit, 5 per inkwell

The logo on your side is your "flag" it rotates above your units and inkwells.

Units fade as they lose hit points, they regen slowly near inkwells of their color.

Units attack and use special abilities on any enemy units on the same side as them if they're not following a line.

Robots shoot and ink cloud that slows ninjas and pirates.

You can't draw a line over an edge that has rings.

Anyone still having trouble figuring it out? Let us know.

Any other feedback is welcome.

Fub
Reading this after playing makes me wonder if I am missing some visial effects - I moved some units (spinning car icons) onto a different side of the cube and they just seemed to disappear. I'm not aware that any player attacked me either...
...can you post some in-game screenshots for me to check whether I am missing important visible game elements, or just being stupid?!
Did you rotate the cube? (right drag or edge scrolling) Units will dissapear when their side is right at 90 degrees (about to go behind the cube). Also you cannot see anything on a side if you don't have units there, so if they died quickly, you may have not seen anything happen before you rotated to that side. Try again and let me know what problems you have. I'll post screenies later.

Tim
I have to say so far this is my favorite entry, barring my own of course:) While it could use a few more bug fixes and polish the idea is very interesting and the game is fun to play. I was only able to play single player (which means not much competition) but it was still fun and a fairly unique idea.

The few problems that I ran into:
1 - sometimes the game would crash to desktop when it first starts. If I rebooted the computer this stopped happening so it could have been a directX issue.
2 - The game crashed when I tried to join another game.
3 - The game didnt seem to have an ending, I captured all the inkwells (minus the 2 that got destroyed) but nothing happened.

Anyway, good job on coming up with an interesting twist on the RTS play style!
OK, I finally got around to playing ink wars...

It was awesome! I had tons of fun with it, it's definitely very original and imaginative!

Even though I was only able to play single player (Selsesstissan's game crashed for whatever reason when he tried to join mine), I had a great time.

I liked the way the notebooks were set up, as well as the unique control of the units, and the various strategies you could implement to capture other ink wells.

I'd say with a little more content (like various levels, maybe a few more rewards for the player, etc) this game could be a classic. Also, can you actually win at this point? It seemed like I had captured all of the ink wells, but nothing happened. I might have missed one though.

Needless to say, it took up my entire lunch hour, and that says alot. Nice job guys!
Thanks so much for giving it a shot! The game does end when you cap or destroy all the inkwells. We even have a cool "Results" page with awesome music! I'll try to set up my home computer as a server, just let me know when anyone would like to play during an evening (6-12 MST) We're working on a service to make internet games easy to host and find. There are also several really cool ideas we had to drop for the contest, but we'll get them in there.

Note: Had our first person to beat "Hard" on skrimish! Take some patience and planning. Conquering first and second sides is the the trick, then your unit cap is high enough the others are easier.

Fub
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'm glad you like it!

Quote: Original post by Selsesstissan
The few problems that I ran into:
1 - sometimes the game would crash to desktop when it first starts. If I rebooted the computer this stopped happening so it could have been a directX issue.
2 - The game crashed when I tried to join another game.
3 - The game didnt seem to have an ending, I captured all the inkwells (minus the 2 that got destroyed) but nothing happened.

When the game crashes, it should write out more information in an error log file. That file is in the Log directory where the game was installed to. If you have the time, it would be helpful to know what's in there. My email address is tomason at hotmail.com.

As for the other problem, jakem3s90 mentioned that maybe he missed one? If it happens again, just look at all the sides and make sure you didn't miss any. If you did get them all, then let me know!

Please send emails or post here with bugs any of you find, if you don't mind! We know of several already, but there are always bugs we don't find.

Thanks!
-Tom

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement