Advertisement

Log startup/shutdown information

Started by October 06, 2005 04:26 PM
2 comments, last by Ravuya 18 years, 11 months ago
I wish to log all startup and shutdown info, I'm using FC4. I get errors randomly on startup and shutdown, so I'd like to get the info saved in a file
The program dmesg will print out your boot messages, and using it like dmesg > bootinfo will dump all info to a textfile if you want to save it. You can also look at the file /var/log/messages for additional messages. As for your shutdown info I don't really know if it gets logged somewhere. Also note that I'm running Slackware, not FC4, so I'm not 100% certain that this will work, but it should [smile]. Happy errorhunting!
Advertisement
Thanks for the info, I'll research the log locations.
You are correct tho, dmesg does display the boot info.

As for happy error hunting, its goona be a rough hunt; see the comp randomly stalls upon shutdown and randomly stalls on startup. It is never the same place where it stalls and it always dumps a ton of info to the screen before the crash.

Well thanks again.
I'm pretty sure old kernel logs (including those with panics) are stored in /var/log under one of the boot.log files.

As for your crashes, I would suspect bad RAM or a CPU bug. Check your memory with memtest86 (should be available on the FC4 CD when you boot from it).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement