Advertisement

Install other distro's via linux -- ease installation?

Started by September 27, 2005 12:58 AM
1 comment, last by eedok 18 years, 11 months ago
I have this nasty problem with 2/3 distro's I've tried -- Fedora Core 4, Mandriva 10.2 2005 LE, K/Ubuntu 5.04. Now Ubuntu works fine. The other 2 lock up during the installation process. Fedora Core 4 locks before installation starts after you press enter to continue. Mandriva locks up unless I disable hardware probing "noauto", but then I loose all hardware and by no means know how to configure it myself. I get stuck when told to configure my disk drive interfaces, a list of like 100 choices come up. So I was wondering if there is a way to simplify the installation of a distro perhaps by starting it within a current running Linux OS. For example: Install Mandriva via Kubuntu
1 SATA HD -- ST380013AS
2 IDE CD-ROMS
Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family -- onboard video card
Realtek RTL8193/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC -- onboard network card
Realtek High Definition Audo -- onboard sound card
Lots of USB ports which I do not know how to identify.

As far as I know with K/Ubuntu it all works fine except the sound card. I haven't really tested my video card out but the GUI looks great ^^

Personally I'd love to get Mandriva 10.2 2005 LE installed. It is the same distro my university uses. Mandriva however hangs as soon as I press [enter] to install base system, it goes to the standard Mandriva loading screen and just hangs after about 10 seconds. Locks the keyboard, prevents any log viewing so I cannot by any means determine why Mandriva is hanging and on what piece of hardware.

I was hoping maybe installing Mandriva via Ubuntu could ease Mandriva into recognizing my hardware profile.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Halsafar
1 SATA HD -- ST380013AS
2 IDE CD-ROMS
Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family -- onboard video card
Realtek RTL8193/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC -- onboard network card
Realtek High Definition Audo -- onboard sound card
Lots of USB ports which I do not know how to identify.

As far as I know with K/Ubuntu it all works fine except the sound card. I haven't really tested my video card out but the GUI looks great ^^

Personally I'd love to get Mandriva 10.2 2005 LE installed. It is the same distro my university uses. Mandriva however hangs as soon as I press [enter] to install base system, it goes to the standard Mandriva loading screen and just hangs after about 10 seconds. Locks the keyboard, prevents any log viewing so I cannot by any means determine why Mandriva is hanging and on what piece of hardware.

I was hoping maybe installing Mandriva via Ubuntu could ease Mandriva into recognizing my hardware profile.

If you really want to learn how to install a distro from another distro, either get gentoo(I suggest a binary version), or LFS and install those from a host environment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement