Advertisement

SiS 6215, FAT32 and C++ info

Started by December 15, 2000 11:28 PM
3 comments, last by abe_bcs 23 years, 9 months ago
Where can I find the X-server for the SiS 6215? The SVGA server works only in 320x200 mode! And how can I access a FAT32 drive? Do I need any packages? My 1 Gig FAT drive''s been mounted properly, but I am unable to mount my 7 Gig FAT32. Also, can I use the DS-XG sound card in Linux? My OPL3 SA3 works fine. ALSO (oh, man), where can I find info on the functions avaiable in C++ in Linux (like DJGPP''s info, GCC doesn''t have a list of all available functions)? /\ \/\/ /\ |< <-
/ // / |< <-
#1. The SiS chipset question. Look around the internet.

#2. The Fat32 Question. Last time I played around with linux it didn''t have support for accessing a fat 32 partition. My suggestion would be to check some of the major distributers and see if that is available yet.

#3. Check the hardware support list on some of the distro''s sites. It might support your sound card.

#4. There is documentation for GCC on the net, do a websearch on something like www.metacrawler.com

Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
Advertisement
#1. The SiS chipset Question: Oohhhh.... I actually had one of those. Upgrade your X server to either 3.3.6 which should have the support, or 4.0.1, which should also have support for it. My guess is that you''re using 3.3.3, which i think didn''t have the support for that chipset, though i may be a little off.

#2. Linux does support FAT32, but you might have to recompile your kernel to get it. I''m amazed that your distrobution doesn''t have that compiled into the normel kernel. Just to make sure everything''s right, try "mount -t auto /dev/hda2 /mnt/7gig" where hda2 is whatever harddrive partition it''s on and /mnt/7gig is the directory you want to mount it on if you haven''t already.

#3. The sound card i have no clue. If it''s not already installed, try ALSA rather than the kernel driver. (Note, read the ALSA readme when installing! You need the default sound module in your kernel.)

#4. As for C++ and G++ (egcs/gcc), g++ corresponds pretty well to ANSI standards and so any of the normal C++ functions you''re used to should be present (also available in a package called libstdc++, though i can''t imagine it''s not included already). For advanced stuff, well, it all depends on the libraries you have installed.

Good luck.

-ben.c
quote:
where can I find info on the functions avaiable in C++ in Linux (like DJGPP''s info, GCC doesn''t have a list of all available functions)?

I don''t know where you can find a list of functions, but it''s somewhere... Try info g++. If you know the function''s name, you can try man name_of_function to get a description...
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Thanks, guys!

/\ \/\/ /\ |< <-
/ // / |< <-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement