Advertisement

graphic technology question

Started by June 22, 2005 12:45 PM
31 comments, last by d000hg 19 years, 2 months ago
Quote: Original post by superpig
Quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
Um, question here - you're saying GeForce 2 min spec, but you're also saying minimum 1.1 shaders in response to "can we expect VS/PS 2.0".

As far as I know, GeForce2 doesn't support pixel shaders, only vertex shaders - I think GeForce3 was the first card to add pixel shading, wasn't it?

So can we not use pixel shaders at all, then? FFP only?

Those specs are out of date. Consider it to be a Geforce3 min spec, excluding the GeForce 4 MX.

So, just to be clear: "Suggested Minimum System Requirements" for "Video:" is now "ATI Radeon or NVIDIA GeForce3 GPU, shaders will be supported."?

Sorry to nag, but it's quite important to know how much time we should put into optimizing our game and producing low-level graphic options.

Quote: Original post by meeshoo
Although dx9 is a requirement, i don't see why not use dx 8.1, because this version was used with geforce2's generation cards. and, from what i see, only the graphics has changed in a more radical way in dx9. Anyway, that's not my domain :). i'll stick to opengl. Has anyone used ogre3d till now? Because i'm curious about it's performance. It has very nice features and it's very easy to use and a lot of support, but i don't know about it's performance. Still it has a bug (even in it's latest version) when i'm using opengl to render terrain a lot of holes appear between terrain squares. What do you know about Crystal space. Anyone can make a comparision between these to engines (the graphics part, because i've heard crystal is a full game engine)?

Don't use Crystal Space.

Ogre on the other hand is very nice, "even though" it is "just" a graphics engine. Performance is really good, at least as far as I've seen, and it will make your life (game programming) a lot easier. :)
------------------"Kaka e gott" - Me
hi. thanks for advice. i've made some tutorials in ogre and it's really great. i've installed crystal space about a year ago and it was living hell for an evening, followed by a quick uninstall :D. My game design is finished (as story and characters). Now we are doing some concept design on characters, maps, software design and some sounds. Ogre looks very capable indeed, but i'm asking myself how far can we push the limit to run on Gf3, radeon 8500? I don't plan to use much more visual effects then ogre can provide in it's original form(shaders and such) because the game will like (or dislike:D) for it's story, environments and gameplay. The graphics is not a top priority for us (not something to go far beiond ogre :D).
Advertisement
Boo, Hiss. I liked it when there were no shaders - it limited how much better other peoples' stuff could look than mine!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement