🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Real Pirates have to say ARG!!

Started by
4 comments, last by Will F 17 years, 7 months ago
The idea I'm toying around with for the competition is a cyberpunk type game and I think I've covered three of the elements but they are not exactly the traditional interperations of them so I just thought I would check to see if they would be considered enough like pirates, ninjas, and zombies. In my game Zombies - are people who a have had the brains hijacked by a neural pirate. They mindlessly follow orders and are only capable of very basic independent actions. Neural Pirates - Indviduals and AI that uses illegal technology and computers to hijack peoples minds turning them into zombies which they use to commit all mannor of crimes that can be undertaken by a mindless horde. Cyber Ninjas - The digital avatar of indviduals who combat neural pirates. Cyber ninja infiltrate computer systems, hunt viruses, eliminate and neural pirates. Utilizing ninja stlye techniques. Are these recongnizable enough to be considered elements?
Advertisement
I would say all are okay. The zombie's is a bit dodgy, but make them move at a slow pace and groan from time to time and you should be fine ;)
Hmm... the ninjas sound OK, but I'm not sure about the zombies or the pirates. As MENTAL said you can probably make the zombies groan and stuff and they'll be OK... the pirates are a bit too tenous though I fear. For one, it seems a bit too clever for your average pirate, and two, pirates tend to group up into crews, no? If you can make them wear eyepatches and go 'ARRR' then you might have a case though.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

So software pirates or pirate radio stations don't count as pirates? Is what your saying.
Quote: Original post by TechnoGoth
So software pirates or pirate radio stations don't count as pirates? Is what your saying.

Sorry, didn't realise that was what you were aiming for. You can go with them but you'll need to do a fair amount to remind people that they are pirates - leaving it to the players to go "hey, they're operating a radio station illegally, so they're... pirates!" is probably too subtle. Having the character introduce himself with "I'm Mister Dude, and I'm a radio pirate!" will, on the other hand, be sufficient. [smile]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by superpig
Quote: Original post by TechnoGoth

Sorry, didn't realise that was what you were aiming for.

On a somewhat related point, there's lots of ways to do nontraditional pirates.
Here's an informative article about modern day pirates that hopefully might give someone some ideas about another way to do the pirate angle.
I'd hope that taking an innovative approach to pirates (rather than the traditional ho ho ho, and a bottle of rum method) might score some creativity or kudos points - then again I don't really know what the judges are looking for there.

Also don't forget space pirates (if you're going with a Sci Fi theme).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement