Advertisement

Having trouble coming up with an idea?

Started by June 12, 2005 03:31 PM
20 comments, last by SiCrane 18 years, 8 months ago
Quote: Original post by superpig
Sure, but I never meant to suggest that the feedback you'd get would be perfectly-formed nuggets of game design genious that you could just drop into your game.

Of course not-a bit of an extreme-wouldn't you say?

Quote: Original post by superpig
Also, bear in mind that we don't make games for game designers - we make them for consumers. As such asking consumers what they do and do not find fun is probably sensible. [smile]

Indeed. Although many do not know what they want. Reading articles and conversing with others making games/other designers would be far more benificial I'd imagine.
Public domain game idea:

Simcity style game where you are building the ultimate graveyard. Your citizens would be none other than Zombies. You would have an option of building a harbour, in which case ghost pirates would come to your graveyard. The graveyard would be holy ground to a group of ninjas, so the various city council/staff would be ninjas.

I might use this idea if the other one I have falls through, but until then this is up for the grabs.
[ Six Hour Game Contest | ( Thread | Blog | Wiki | 6hour Bio ) ][ Website | (Blog | Gallery ) ]
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by DakeDesu

* Don't force yourself to have an idea--sometimes if you don't think about it, you get an excellent idea.

Also works well in learning.

If you gave a helpful reply, I rated you up.
Quote: Simcity style game where you are building the ultimate graveyard. Your citizens would be none other than Zombies. You would have an option of building a harbour, in which case ghost pirates would come to your graveyard. The graveyard would be holy ground to a group of ninjas, so the various city council/staff would be ninjas.

That's kind of a cool idea. I'd play it.
Orin Tresnjak | Graphics ProgrammerBethesda Game StudiosStandard Disclaimer: My posts represent my opinions and not those of Bethesda/Zenimax, etc.
The graveyard bit sounds good, but the ghost pirates are pushing it and as for the ninjas - you can just see the crowbar leaning against teh storyboard!
I think I am about ready to panic. I want to enter something but I feel that I don't have the time/knowledge to do so. I have about 2 weeks between semesters, but that is about it. Has anyone here ever decided to set so many minutes aside each day to work on thier project? How well does that work?

EDIT - Yeah, I think I am about ready to panic. I have finals in two weeks, then about a week and a half before school starts again. Not to mention that, but I have forgotten a lot of the C++ syntax, and the DirectX theory. All I am going to say at this point, is if I get an entry in at all, I will be happy.

[Edited by - Moe on August 5, 2005 9:30:13 AM]
Advertisement
You could think along the Pong / tetris / jezzball line - they are all fantastically fun games. If you can get something like that with the elements in without it looking like you just did a 'find & replace' for 'player' with 'zombie' I reckon it could do suprisingly well if it's polished and fun. Search for 'Curveball' for an example.
Very good advice Mr. Author. It is something that should go for almost anything to do with some type of brainstorming.
man its now the 22 of october :) dont think about starting a game for the contest now !!! :-) its way too late.... unless your are a real freak maniac who can work for the next 220 hours
Quote: Original post by Moe
I want to enter something but I feel that I don't have the time/knowledge to do so. Has anyone here ever decided to set so many minutes aside each day to work on thier project? How well does that work?

I also have a limited amount of time each day to study game dev/programming. It is a lot less productive only being able to spend small amounts of time on the subject.
I can get an almost exponentially larger amount done if I can work straight for 3-4-5 hours at a time.

Quote:
I have forgotten a lot of the C++ syntax, and the DirectX theory. All I am going to say at this point, is if I get an entry in at all, I will be happy.

C# and Managed DirectX all the way. :D

The managed languages make everything sooo much easier, and more productive.

If you gave a helpful reply, I rated you up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement