Advertisement

Small LAN mailserver

Started by May 30, 2005 02:04 PM
2 comments, last by desertcube 19 years, 3 months ago
First of all, go easy on me; I'm a newby to Linux! I need some help retrieving mail from my web host. How it's set up is that there is only one e-mail address (postmaster@mydomain.co.uk) but there are numerous aliases (so I can send emails to general@mydomain.co.uk, help@mydomain.co.uk etc) which all end up in that single mailbox. I've got a server on my LAN running Fedora Core 3 and I've managed to setup qmail (followed the instructions from this site). I can send emails from my other machines (running outlook express on windows XP) and I can receive emails that were sent internally (e.g. from general@mydomain.co.uk to help@mydomain.co.uk), but I can't figure out how to receive emails from the web host (i.e. if I send one from my gmail account to general@mydomain.co.uk) I've played around with fetchmail, but I'm not sure how to configure it. It retrieves the mail from the server but I don’t know how to make it deliver the mail to different folders. Any help would be appreciated - I've been trying to do this all day and I'm getting really frustrated.
I'm pretty sure fetchmail can do what you need but I'm not that familiar with it so I'll recommend getmail. You would probably need to setup a retriever like "MultidropPOP3Retriever" (or IMAP as the case may be), and a destination like "MultiSorter". In this case getmail would handle two steps of the process: bringing all the mail from your webhost onto your server, then separating the mail into the proper piles. The last step would be accessing the mail from your windows machines, for this you probably need to setup a POP or IMAP server on your linux machine -- but if you've managed to setup qmail this shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Advertisement
I've used thunderbird for my mail software and it works wonders. Now for you circumstances I can not exactly give you the correct answer, however I would erge you to give Thunderbird a shot. Once in a while however, it does not automatically get my mail, instead I have to select get/recieve mail which is not right. I didn't really get the chance to play with it much and tweak it, but if you do a little research you should be set. Also ofcourse take the suggestions from everyone else.
Thankyou for your replies. I'm currently looking into getmail, looks promising so far!

I actually use thunderbird as my mail agent on my laptop instead of outlook express, and I do like it. However, my problem is not retrieving the mail from my server - it is retrieving it form the web host.

Thanks for your replies.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement