Advertisement

Compile Error in g++

Started by May 04, 2005 01:48 AM
4 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 4 months ago
The following code compiles fine in msvc++ but produces errors in g++, does anyone know of a workaround?

template<class T> class A
{
     void foo(void)
     {
         for(list<T*>::iterator i = m_List.begin(); i != m_List.end(); ++i)
             (...)
     }

list<T*> m_List;
};
The problem seems to be with the declaration of i. Is this a known bug in g++?
template<class T> class A{     void foo(void)     {         for(typename list<T*>::iterator i = m_List.begin(); i != m_List.end(); ++i)             (...)     }     list<T*> m_List;};
Advertisement
Thanks alot, worked perfectly.
When you're implicitly creating a type from a template parameter eg: std::list::iterator you need to tell the compiler that it's a type using the typename keyword, otherwise it gets confused and throws an error. I've fallen foul of this a few times in GCC, MSVC always used to handle it fine.
Note that MSVC++ is just trying to being nice to you there -- the standard requires the typename. Some versions of G++ will give you an "implicit typename is deprecated" warning, however, and compile properly if it correctly guesses it's a type. Don't count on it for long though -- the support of implicit typenames wont be included in the next version, iirc.
Quote: Original post by me22
Note that MSVC++ is just trying to being nice to you there....

That's the kind of "help" no sane person would like. Thanks MSVC for helping us write broken code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement