Advertisement

setin up webserver via SSH

Started by April 07, 2005 07:58 AM
9 comments, last by Ilici 19 years, 5 months ago
hi all, im in need of tutorials/tips/tricks/advice/gum on how a Windoze user (all my life) is supposed to setup apache+mysql+php (they are already installed, i think i just need to config them) via ssh. <background> i've downloaded putty, so i can ssh to the server, i want to upload a 350mb zip file onto the server, deflate it, build a MySQL data base using it, and then have the webserver serve the data via a php script. </background> would the best way to be start an FTP service (how?) and then upload? or is there a way i can do it through SSH via direct link or something? any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
"I am a donut! Ask not how many tris/batch, but rather how many batches/frame!" -- Matthias Wloka & Richard Huddy, (GDC, DirectX 9 Performance)

http://www.silvermace.com/ -- My personal website
What distro? If you're running debian you're in luck.

About file transfer through SSH: Use WinSCP. For FTP i recommend the wu-ftp server.
Advertisement
You'd be well advised to use scp or sftp and NOT use ftp - FTP sends the files unencrypted, and worse, sends login info unencrypted.

If your database contains any passwords, FTP'ing it will send them over the internet in the clear.

fortunately, ssh servers normally allow scp and sftp by default.

Putty ships with a sftp command-line client. I don't know of a GUI one, but I'm sure they exist.

If you're trying to set up a production server somewhere externally, you'd also be well advised to set up a Linux box at home to test things out on. Ensure that the OS that it runs is as close to the production machine as you can make it.

Making changes on production servers without testing them first, is a recipe for disaster.

Mark
Quote: Original post by markr
Putty ships with a sftp command-line client. I don't know of a GUI one, but I'm sure they exist.

There's filezilla. Clicky
"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it." - Samuel Johnson
hi guys, thanks for all your help thus far.
i was wondering, are there any tutorials/setup breifs on how to assign a domain name to a server?

i have the server running, with its IP address and all, i have a domain name... how do i get them to work together ?

i know, im a total newb, but again i would greatly appreciate any resources you could provide.

thanks.
-danu
"I am a donut! Ask not how many tris/batch, but rather how many batches/frame!" -- Matthias Wloka & Richard Huddy, (GDC, DirectX 9 Performance)

If your domain host offers some control options you'll have to set the IP to your home IP. For example i use np-ip.com and they have on their site a control panel where i can set the IP. They also have an utility to autmatically set the IP if it changes (DHCP).

You haven't told us what linux distribution you use so we can tell you how to setup mysql/php.
Advertisement

EDIT: i just figured out your post, i'll look into it, but other wise are there any other things i should know?
what should i be looking to setup on the server end?
-----------------------------------------

hi, its Red Hat, Fedora 3

its actually a dedicated server, with a static IP (its hosted at a data center) and i remote connect from my home PC via SSH (Putty) or use the Webmin we control panel.

the real problem is i have no idea what im supposed to configure in order to setup a domain name on that server (the server is all mine, ie single website)

if you could provide materials which could guide or hint me as to what steps i should take to get things going?

Cheers
-dan

PS. thanks heaps for your patience so far.

Quote: Original post by silvermace
hi, its Red Hat, Fedora 3

its actually a dedicated server, with a static IP (its hosted at a data center) and i remote connect from my home PC via SSH (Putty) or use the Webmin we control panel.

the real problem is i have no idea what im supposed to configure in order to setup a domain name on that server (the server is all mine, ie single website)

if you could provide materials which could guide or hint me as to what steps i should take to get things going?

Cheers
-dan

PS. thanks heaps for your patience so far.

Do you have a registred domain? There are lots of domain hosts that will let you setup a domain for some price. There are free ones like www.no-ip.com which I use for my site. Basically you register the domain with that company on their website and then you can set the IP address the domain resolves to.

Under FC3 you'll need to use the integrated package manager (yum IIRC) to download the mysql package, php package, php-apache bindgins package and the php-mysql bindings package. I think dependencies will be resolved automatically,no need to worry.
thanks dude, ill look into it, im sorry about me being a webserver bimbo :P

hi, the domain manager has the following options

"Certificate | Password | Nameservers | Change Contacts
DNS Hosting | URL Forwarding | Email Forwarding | Domain Info | Logout"

i really wouldnt have a clue where to start?

DNS hosting?
Nameservers just allows me to add or remove nameservers (there are two already in there)

any other ideas?

Cheers
-Dan
thanks so far!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement