Advertisement

Linux Toy Story specifics

Started by March 06, 2005 08:30 AM
5 comments, last by Captain Maple 19 years, 6 months ago
Are the different Toy Story names just nick-names for the various versions of the kernel? If so, is it liket his: woody - 2.4 sarge - 2.6 cid - anything unstable There was a buzz too, right?
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
I thought it was just different versions of Debian and not in reference specifically to the kernel version.
Advertisement
There was a Buzz, it was the first named Debian release. Look here for a full list.

I also remember seeing some code names for kernel releases, but I'm not sure if that's on the main branch or just for a particular patch set.
Quote: Original post by necromancer_df
I thought it was just different versions of Debian and not in reference specifically to the kernel version.

I suppose that makes more sense. Toy Story wasn't even out when Linux was invented anyway.
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
The nicknames of Debian releases are named after characters in Toy Story. Sid is always the unstable release because Sid's the name of the kid next store who's always blowing things up.
They're named like that because one of the people who are (or were? I forget) contributing to the project worked on Toy Story. Not bad naming scheme, at least their's is creative. [smile]
Here is the guy who was affiliated with Toy Story. Looks like I was a bit off about how much he was involved with it, but oh well.
Advertisement
Yeah, the guy who co-created Pixar also is/was at the head of Debian at some time in his life. That's all I know.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement