Advertisement

Help! Newbee in everything

Started by February 23, 2005 09:50 PM
1 comment, last by darklordsatan 19 years, 6 months ago
Hi! Can you guys tell me whats the best distro in linux for Game development? What tools i needed to understand? Or is Linux the best os to learn if you plan on developing games. And can you also summarize everthing i need to know to be able to create games for pc's or consoles. Thank you so much!!!
Quote: Original post by cheesedogblack
Hi! Can you guys tell me whats the best distro in linux for Game development?

There is none, any distro which comes with the right development tools will do.

Quote:
What tools i needed to understand?

An IDE like KDevelop, Anjuta, Eclipse ... , knowing how gcc works wouldn't hurt you either.

Quote:
Or is Linux the best os to learn if you plan on developing games.

You can develop games on any OS you want, the OS on which you develop doesn't really matter.

Quote:
And can you also summarize everthing i need to know to be able to create games for pc's or consoles. Thank you so much!!!

Learn to code first (for example in C++, allthough that might be a little bit tough to begin with), then come back and ask more specific questions.

"THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT IS CLASSIFIED; DO NOT GO TO FOX NEWS TO READ OR OBTAIN A COPY." , the pentagon
Advertisement
If you are a total newbie, then distros like Mandrake and SuSe are the right ones for you, because of the way they handle packages and configure things. Fedora (redhat free fork) is also good, as well as Ubuntu.

Live-CD based distros are good too, but I dunno how easy is to install packages on them (when you see you need some developing library like SDL,etc...). Some popular ones are knoppix (great), gnoppix, ubuntu live, and some others.

Then, in the upcoming years, your could start using a more "difficutl" distro, like debian, or slackware (IMHO the best one)

And later, if you are a hardcore linux user, then maybe why not trying to create your own distro, suited to your own needs; LFS (linux from scratch - a book) may be the one in this case.

In general, a good site to check out for linux distros is distrowatch.
And for a list of common live cds, check out This site.

Likely you will be able to develop games in any distro, the difference is how difficult is to install libraries and software; like I said before, doing it in a distro like mandrake is plain simple (most of the times), but might be a nightmare for a newbie in, lets say, slackware.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement