🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Fastest Linux Distribution?

Started by
8 comments, last by Graylien 23 years, 8 months ago
I''ve got 4 old Celeron 466MHz machines lying around in the lab collecting dust, so I''ve decided to set them up as a Beowulf cluster to do some number crunching. They''ll be running a benchmark utility written in Java2. Which Linux distribtion would you guys recommend? What I''m looking for is a minimal OS that''ll run fast but stay stable, as the number crunching runs will last for several weeks without my intervention. If all goes well we''ll get a budget to buy some more machines and make a bigger cluster. Any advice?
------When thirsty for life, drink whisky. When thirsty for water, add ice.
Advertisement
Minix might be best. Maybe Slackware if you like command line.

-----------------------------

A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."

The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
-----------------------------A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."The Micro$haft BSOD T-Shirt
I''d go with slack, but any services you''ll be using a lot of, you''ll want to recompile with full optimization for the celeron, if it really matters.

-benc
quote: Original post by ImmaGNUman

Minix might be best.

From what I hear Minix is quite slow, isn't really optimized for the 386 line of CPU's and yadda yadda yadda It might be small though.

quote:
Maybe Slackware if you like command line.

Why would someone run anything else than the CLI if you want speed and stability...?

I say go with Slackware, turn all of the unnecessary services off, and download the latest kernel and recompile it with as little as possible in it.

I wish I had 4 Celeron 466 mhz machines just lying around...

Btw, did you start this thread? They seem to be very much alike

Edited by - Muzzafarath on October 22, 2000 4:35:33 PM
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
quote: Original post by Muzzafarath
I wish I had 4 Celeron 466 mhz machines just lying around...

If all goes well the number of machines in my arsenal will increase tenfold, and their clock speed will of course be triple what it is now by next summer!

quote: Original post by Muzzafarath
Btw, did you start this thread? They seem to be very much alike

LOL!
I didn't start that thread, but don't tell anyone about this thread.

So right now I'm leaning towards either slackware or Debian 2.2 (which I've heard good things about). I must admit that I know next to nothing of slackware, and the websites www.slackware.com and www.slackware.org aren't online today. What's the latest distribution of slackware?

Thanks for all the help so far!

[edit] It seems that Slackware 7.1 is the latest release, right?

Edited by - Graylien on October 22, 2000 6:53:37 PM
Slackware 7.1 is the latest yes.
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Note: Minix isn''t Linux!

Minix is a totally different UNIX-like system for PCs. It doesn''t use the Linux kernel. Minix is older but doesn''t have nearly the support that Linux does. Its mainly a teaching tool, not an operating system for Real Work.

Asking which Linux distro is best is a sure way to incite a flamewar. However, it may interest you to know that one of the marketing bulletpoints for Mandrake is that the compile all of the tools (gcc, the libc, etc) that go along with their distrubution optimized for Pentium Pro style architectures, which make the system run, on average, a few percantage points faster than a system compiled for a more generic architecture (like all of x86).

It comes with X11 and all the bells and whistles but you can turn them off.

Again, thanks for all your suggestions!

Here''s my current gameplan: Since all the machines have the same hardware, I''m going to set up one to run Slackware 7.1 and another to run the latest Debian release. I''ll benchmark those with my application to see whose faster. Once that''s done, I''m going to try to build my own Linux distribution. (hey, it''ll be a learning experience if nothing else!!)

In terms of both speed and stability, is anyone able to compare kernel 2.2 the kernel 2.4 (beta)? I''m a bit leary of running a beta kernel because, if for no other reason, it probably hasn''t been tested with any JVM''s that I might use (I''m leaning toward the IBM 1.30 release).
umm.
stampede is compiled using pgcc and is made to be fast and stable. since its using pgcc itll be faster for i386''s than jsut about any other distro youll find.

www.stampede.org

saai
quote:
Minix is a totally different UNIX-like system for PCs. It doesn't use the Linux kernel. Minix is older but doesn't have nearly the support that Linux does. Its mainly a teaching tool, not an operating system for Real Work.

Hmmm... As far as I know, Minix is a minimalistic version of UNIX thus, it uses a UNIX like kernel and not the Linux Kernel. Also, where do you think Linux came from? Anyhow, to get back to the thread, use SLACKWARE. It's alot more work than all the other distros but it compensate with raw power.

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
DLC Multimedia

Edited by - Cyberdrek on October 23, 2000 8:49:24 PM
[Cyberdrek | ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement