Advertisement

Installing SDL_gfx - Dependency Conflicts

Started by December 09, 2004 05:03 PM
3 comments, last by C-Junkie 19 years, 9 months ago
Ok, I'm new to Linux and I'm trying to get all the SDL libraries and development tools installed. I'm using SUSE 9.1 and I downloaded SDL_gfx-2.0.12-1.i586.rpm and SDL_gfx-devel-2.0.12-1.i586.rpm to get SDL_gfx working because there are no official packages for SDL_gfx. I click on the .rpm and tell it to install with YAST but it pops up a bunch of Dependency Conflicts:

devel(libasound)
devel(libaudiofile)
devel(libaudio)
devel(libdl)
devel(libesd)
devel(libgcc_s)
devel(libICE)
devel(libm)
devel(libSDL-1.2)
devel(libSM)
devel(libX11)
devel(libXext)
devel(libXt)

That I don't have but are needed for SDL_gfx. I did a little searching and I think that most of this libraries are pretty core to the system, but I don't know if I have the development versions. And what business does SDL_gfx have being dependent upon these audio libraries? I have SDL installed. This is just for the SDL_gfx runtime, not the development. Here is the complete list of dependencies.

rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
libc.so.6
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)
libgcc_s.so.1
libm.so.6
libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)
libpthread.so.0
libSDL-1.2.so.0
devel(libasound)
devel(libaudio)
devel(libaudiofile)
devel(libdl)
devel(libesd)
devel(libgcc_s)
devel(libICE)
devel(libm)
devel(libSDL-1.2)
devel(libSM)
devel(libX11)
devel(libXext)
devel(libXt)

What does the "devel" mean and how can I fix this. I'm eager to get SDL working. Thanks everyone
DSL_gfx depends on libsdl which in turn requires the aduio dependencies.

Linux packages are generally split into 2 groups, normal and development (which include the header files and such). Suse should have an sdl devel package (or something similar) which will get all of these for you.
Advertisement
Hmmmm, this is wierd, I have the SDL-devel package(1.2.7-33) already installed and it doesn't seem to require nearly as many libraries. Should I ignore these warnings and hope for the best?

Here is what is says SDL needs
/bin/sh/bin/shrpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1libX11.so.6libXext.so.6libaa.so.1libasound.so.2libasound.so.2(ALSA_0.9)libc.so.6libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1)libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1.3)libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2)libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)libdl.so.2libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.0)libdl.so.2(GLIBC_2.1)libm.so.6libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.0)libpthread.so.0libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.0)libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.1)libstdc++.so.5rpmlib(PayloadIsBzip2) <= 3.0.5-1

And the development package.
SDLesound-develaalib-develalsa-develrpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1/bin/shrpmlib(PayloadIsBzip2) <= 3.0.5-1

Notice it doesn't have any of the devel stuff.

Thank you for the reply, flukus
Okay I'm pretty sure it's a mistake so I'm going ahead with the install.

1.) No other package provides or requires anything with the string "devel("
2.) Development libraries are represented with a "-devel" on the end
3.) There is no reason SDL_gfx needs the development libraries for these packages
4.) I have all the packages installed normally

Just curious about this "bug" would it be the fault of the RPM, YAST, or incompatabilities with other package managers, or ...?
You didn't get these packages from suse, right?

So they're not designed for suse. That's all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement