Advertisement

Anything besides XMMS?

Started by September 20, 2004 07:05 PM
28 comments, last by DarkHamster 19 years, 11 months ago
I can't believe juks been on my computer all this time and I only just realised, its the best media player I've ever used. The search feature being it's best part.

A visualization window and a random button (yes, I know it's in the menu) and it would be perfect.

btw, whats the MP3 library that all these apps use? Theres an annoying skipping "effect" in mine (in xmms and juk).
you can queue things in xmms/bmp by pressing q. you can search for a song in your playlist by pressing j.
Advertisement
I always laugh when people talk about "extensions optional" in Linux as if it were a good thing. We're not talking about intelligent type-information encoded within the file as an alternative. Nope. Its more like "what if I was coding in C and all variables are handled with void*, and we just decided that Hungarian Notation was a bad idea".
-- Single player is masturbation.
A flexible filesystem *is* a good thing. Renaming all your music to get rid of the extension... isn't.

And looking at the first few bytes of a file to determine the type is what we call "unreliable."
Quote: Original post by bobstevens
A flexible filesystem *is* a good thing. Renaming all your music to get rid of the extension... isn't.

And looking at the first few bytes of a file to determine the type is what we call "unreliable."

As opposed to looking at the last three characters of the name? =)
Quote: Original post by flukus
I can't believe juks been on my computer all this time and I only just realised, its the best media player I've ever used. The search feature being it's best part.

A visualization window and a random button (yes, I know it's in the menu) and it would be perfect.

I use Juk as well, it's simple and effective I find. Some good tips: set some shortcut keys for next/previous track etc. (you can use the new keyboard multimedia keys) from "Configure Shortcuts" and select the "Popup Track Announcement" option for a little system tray popup telling you what track your listening to when it starts.

Quote:
btw, whats the MP3 library that all these apps use? Theres an annoying skipping "effect" in mine (in xmms and juk).

This can be a common problem in some distros so you might want to check google. Normally, you have to set your sound playing thread to have a higher priority so the scheduler doesn't keeping stopping it and causing skips.
Advertisement
In the KDE control center it says the sound system is set to realtime priority but it was using open sound system, isn't ALSA the newer/better one?
In the KDE control center it says the sound system is set to realtime priority but it was using open sound system, isn't ALSA the newer/better one?

I've got mine on auto detect and I don't get skipping. I'm not too sure what the difference between them all is. It's easy to switch system though so just go through them all and see if it helps. You could also try setting your buffer size a little larger from the same control panel (first tab). When does your music skip? If it does it during hard drive access, it might be because DMA access is not on (this allows transfering chunks of data from the drive without using the CPU). It could be a lot of other things too, such as the type of schedular your kernel is using. Try checking on google for "sound skipping <your distro name>" on the web and newsgroups and you should probably find lots of people with similar trouble to help you.
If you use gnome, I recommend rhythmbox. I guess you could describe it as more of an iTunes clone than a winamp clone, but it's still pretty nice.
isn't ALSA the newer/better one?

Newer, anyway. Better tends to be questionable.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement