Advertisement

First encounter with dependencies...

Started by September 06, 2004 02:40 PM
9 comments, last by aidan_walsh 20 years ago
Today I had my first run in with dependency errors, after several successful installations. I decided that it was time to update Gaim, as the copy that FC2 comes with by default is quite dated (0.77-6, as opposed to the modern 0.82.1). I went to the Fedora mirror site, and downloaded the approporiate rpm. Typing in the usual command (rpm -ivh), I was thrown a list of dependency errors, namely
Quote: libebook.so.8 is needed by gaim-0.82.1-2 libedata-book.so.1 is needed by gaim-0.82.1-2 libedataserver.so.3 is needed by gaim-0.82.1-2 libsilc-1.0.so.2 is needed by gaim-0.82.1-2 libsilcclient-1.0.so.2 is needed by gaim-0.82.1-2
So I Google the first few, and find out that most of them are in the same package, Evolution Data Sever. I downloads that, and commence to rpm it. Same story, more dependency errors. So after another while of Googleing, I decide to hell with it, I'll get the update via yum. I tried two different variations, neither of which worked...
yum update gaim
and
yum update gaim-0.82.1
Each time all I got was a long list of unrelated headers being downloaded... Can anybody help? Has anyone succeeded in doing this? Or even any general tips for dealing with dependencies?
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
I've never used yum, but www.rpmseek.com is good for finding rpms/what packages contain certain files, so it's probably quicker to use that than google

Does yum have a manpage (man yum)? Maybe the things that it was downloading were dependencies for gaim though

btw, gaim-0.77 was only released about a month and a half ago, so it's not that outdated
Advertisement
It was off the man page that I got the update command, but unless Gaim is after moving into the world of mysql and php, I doubt it was the dependencies that it was downloading... I'll try taking a look at rpmseek.
According to this page, http://www.linuxgazette.com/node/view/8835, yum update gaim should update only gaim, but have you tried doing yum install gaim?
Was it downloading the index/package list/whatever its called?
It seems from my searches that I may have downloaded the wrong version... A lot of the files that it is complaining about seem to be newer versions than a lot of repositories are carrying, leading me to believe that I may have downloaded a developers version off of SourceForge by mistake...

I downloaded a copy of 0.82.0 from fedora.redhat.com, and once I uninstalled the previous version, it installed without a hitch... Sorry for wasting everybodies time, though a valuable lesson was learned by this recent Windows convert tonight...

Thanks everyone for the aid.
Advertisement
A little late but ...
Quote:
Each time all I got was a long list of unrelated headers being downloaded...

Did you let it run because I used to use fedora and found that sometimes it would do that but finish up with installing the proper package.
Quote: Michael TanczosCut that shit out. You shouldn't be spying on other people.. especially your parents. If your dad wanted to look at horses having sex with transexual eskimo midgets, that's his business and not yours.
I'd let it run for 15mins once, but still nothing related would install... Most of the stuff would be updating developer tools like perl, php, mysql etc.
The first time you run yum, or whenever new packages are added to the repositories, yum needs to download the header of available/new packages. Thats why you see lots of unrelated headers being downloaded. If you have a bad conection (like me) you can experience problems of yum simply stop responding while downloading headers. It is normal. Apt is much better.
IMOH...
pacman > *

Because I like arch.
Quote: Michael TanczosCut that shit out. You shouldn't be spying on other people.. especially your parents. If your dad wanted to look at horses having sex with transexual eskimo midgets, that's his business and not yours.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement