🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Favorite game genres

Started by
17 comments, last by fastcall22 6 years, 6 months ago
I really don't have a favorite but here are a few good ones:
Platformer - Mario and its clones
Adventure - what exepotes mentioned (to which I would add the Quest for Glory series) though there are a lot of great free adventure games
Puzzle and Action/Puzzle - Incredible Machine, Lost Vikings, Frozen Fruits
Advertisement

MetroidVania and Space Combat sims.  I do enjoy other genres but it depends on the game.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

#1) Top-Down Space Combat: Star Fleet Battles, Star Control II, Subspace.

#2) Strategy Wargames: Federation & Empire, MegaSupremacy, Empire

#3) Empire Building: Civilization, Galactic Civilizations

#4) Rouge-like: Faster Than Light, NetHack

#5) God Games: Anything made by Will Wright.

#6) FPS: Team Fortress, Mech Warrior Online

#7) RTS: Advanced Squad Leader, Anything made by Dan "Danni" Bunton, Warcraft II, Starcraft

Cannot really be categorized... Star Fleet I: The War Begins, Star Fleet II: Krellen Commander, New World Computing's Nuclear War.

EDIT: I knew I was leaving out something really important...

#3.5) ARPG: Path of Exile, Diablo II

"I wish that I could live it all again."

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎06 at 8:57 PM, Kavik Kang said:

#2) Strategy Wargames: Federation & Empire, MegaSupremacy, Empire

MegaSupremacy?  I just googled it and it looks awesome.  Where and when did you play it?  How was the experience.  I assume the game is a social get together type experience?

This thread was dug out from the depths.  

Well, I'll list the games I've spent the most hours playing.  I may not play them anymore, or care to play them ever again.  But rather than being biased to my tastes of today, they better reflect my gaming journey.

Action / Shooter: Space-Harrier, Ghost Busters, and R-Type for the Sega Master System.  I only ever beat R-Type once and I was extremely excited.  Bonus level music was epic and I never beat it without the invincibility cheat.  I remember when I first learned about the bonus level and invincibility cheat, I was speechless that there even was such a thing.  Speaking of which, The master system had added content that no other platform had.  R-Types Special Level, and Space-Harrier's Haya-Oh final boss.

Simulation: Sim-City Series, especially Sim-City 2000.  I remember a family relative telling me I could have programmed my own game within the time I'd already committed to Sim-City 2000.

RTS: Command and Conquer Red Alert Retaliation for the play-station.  I swear I became one with this game and was unbeatable by anyone, I was too good and would win with too much ease and it was no longer fun.  Speaking of unbeatable, A buddy of mine used to play an Arcade game called "WAR" where you had to enter your initials and password, it was a FPS.  He had obtained over 100,000 kills and his shield/status was changed to "Addict" and the emblem was removed.  Him and I burst out laughing.  I just mention it because we each had our own domination story.

FPS: James Bond for N64 and Counter Strike,  Not to be a brag, but I dominated at James Bond.  There was only ever two people who where able to beat me, one who had one more trick up his sleeve than I did, so I could have taken him but we only played once.  And one who absolutely destroyed me.  This guy would strafe along the walls looking at the walls the entire time.  So I had no idea where he was and he could see where I was, because we were looking at the same screen.  He'd come up behind me and quickly dispose of me.  His shot too was epic.  He had figured out angles to get into all areas of a map for grenade launcher and rockets.  He was able to kill me in any stall in the Bathrooms of the Facility while being downstairs. Epic!

RPG/FPS: Fallout Series starting with 3:  Love the apocalyptic theme. the sad music, everything about it.

FPSs: Halo <3 <3 <3 , Battlefield

RPGs: Elder Scrolls Skyrim

action RPGS; Horizon Zero Dawn <3 <3 , Assassins Creed

third person action games: modern Tomb Raider (and upcoming Shadow of the Tomb Raider :D ), Uncharted 4, The Last of Us (and upcoming Part II :D:D

First person action: Mirrors Edge, Mirrors Edge: Catalyst

interactive stories: The Walking Dead Season II, Life is Strange

experimental AAAs/indies: (play very few of these) Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.

To sum it up, I'm an absolute sucker for AAA cinematic action games. I do like my laid back puzzle or party games sometimes...just not that often.

"Don't make a girl a promise....if you know you can't keep it." - Halo 2

"If they came to hear me beg, they would be disappointed." - Halo 2

"Were it so Easy." - Halo 3

"Dear Humanity. We regret being alien bastards. We regret coming to earth. And we most certainly regret that the Corps just blew up our raggedy a** fleet!" - Halo 2

"One Final Effort is all that remains." - Halo 3

"Brute ships! Staggered line! Ship Master, they outnumber us, three to one!"

(response) "Then it is an even fight. All ships fire at will! Burn their mongrel hides!" - Halo 3

"Everyone I have cared for has either died or left me. Everybody  f****** except for you! So you don't tell me I'd be safer with someone else, because the truth is I would just be more scared." The Last of Us

"If you had had a child, Elisabet, what would you have wished for him or her?" (GAIA)

(response) "I guess....I would have wanted her to be...curious. And willful -- unstoppable even...but with enough compassion to...heal the world...just a little bit." Elisabet Sobeck to GAIA - Horizon Zero Dawn

genra: platform

Games: Super Mario Series
               Bluejay's Quest

I like platform games because they make you think - especially those haunted house stages in Super M World. I like games where you can't see the entire world at once. I would like to include RPGs and isometric games here too as they are also very stimulating. I absolutely hate shooting games - very violent and insipid. They glorify the killing of human being in my opinion - too realistic.

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

This thread is 13 years old (!)

Closing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement