🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Question. Is this feasable?

Started by
0 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 6 months ago
I am VERY interested in game programing but do not know a lot of programming. I have been teaching myself for about 6 months. I have a good handle on basic C++ but I have not gone very far into classes or objects and I know very little "straight" C.

Me and two of my friends are taking a C++ programming course this semester in college at UofM and i think that it gets pretty far into the language

My question is this: after this course will we know enough to read a few game programming books (tricks of the windows game programming gurus for example) and a few tutorials and such and able to program some simple games such as tetris and pac man using direct X?

We are all very interested in this field and are willing to work pretty much all summer on these projects. Do we have a legitimate shot at being able to do this or maybe even more?

Advertisement
Yes, you can do it. The introductory course should get you up to pointers, which is about right where you need to be in order to start understanding DirectX. And with some time and dedication you should be well on your way to being able to make a simple game.

A few side notes though. The University that I go to here doesn't teach any Windows programming, and you'll need a little handle on that before you can do DirectX. I'm not sure what your school will teach, but if they don't teach Windows you'll need to learn at least a little about it.
Also, when you do get to making games, make sure you come up with a good design documentation and plan everything out. It will help you in the long run.
And Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus is a good book to learn from.

Good luck!!!

Working on: DoP

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement