Advertisement

I just installed redhat

Started by July 13, 2004 10:00 PM
13 comments, last by sakky 20 years, 2 months ago
Quote: Original post by sakky
Okay, I've been having problems! Argh, Google is not loading up! What is wrong; I wonder!? I was logged in as root. But now, I've created my own account like a normal user.

I'm currently using it right now and I'm able to access the internet. I can't do my autoupdate. I guess I will just go and download the NVIDIA driver myself.

I've noticed that gcc isn't responding either. I types the command and got a bash error! Is root in SuSE limitted to just system settings? I have SuSE 9.1 is there alot of updates I need to get?

well i run autoupdate as a normal user on my system and it works fine. A box will pop up though asking for the root password before it will run is all.
A lot of system settings are limited to root but if you are using the command line you can use sudo or su to change to root shell so you can install stuff. If you try to do things using the GUI suse is pretty good at letting you know since a dialog box will appear asking you to type in the root password.
Nvidia driver is very easy to install on suse if you run into problems letus know since I have installed them over 100x on various linux distro's and suse is very simple to do.
manually i download drivers from nvidia site
then as root type init 3 so you can install drivers
then type sh drivername.sh as root and accept license and it will do all work for you.
then type sax2 to finish configuring nvidia driver
then type startx to get back into gui.
p.s. you should do all your online updates first since it might install new kernel and if it does you need to recompile or reinstall nvidia drivers again for new kernel.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
It's interesting that as soon as someone installs a distro, one of the most common comments is to berate that distro and recommend/suggest another. Sometimes the person goes ahead, but we haven't increased actual knowledge one iota. How about we encourage them to stick to a distro and understand it before suggesting shifts?

@sakky:
The Unix root account is all-powerful. As a novice Unix/Linux user, you should login as root as sparingly as possible and use a normal user account the rest of the time. You can switch to the root account to incrementally expand the rights of your regular user account (adding it to various groups, etc) as you hit limitations. This tends to minimize accidental system SNAFUs.

You say Google isn't loading. Is it only Google, or is it all websites? If the latter, is your IP address valid? Are you behind a firewall? Are you on a local network? If the former, it's remotely conceivable that you have an error with your hosts.deny file or your browser cache. On the outside, you may also have contracted a redirect virus, but the possibility is extremely low.

Did all of that sound like Greek to you? Using Linux is going to require that you learn a lot more than you may have ever wanted to know about how various computer hardware, networks and software work. Before running any program, read as much documentation as you can for it (traditional Unix programs come with "manpages", accessible by typing man <program_name>; newer programs come with HTML help files, and websites usually have FAQs and so forth).

I see that you're having some difficulties with local software like GCC and bash; configuring your shell is sufficiently feature-rich (and consequently complex) that entire books have been written on them. There are websites that provide configuration files for shells and shell-based software, such as dotfiles; browse for one that seems to match your needs, then compare your existing dotfiles (files beginning with a '.', like .bashrc, which are normally invisible to the file list command, ls).

One good practice is, in these early stages, to have a notebook always handy and to document every single change you make extensively. That way you have records that you can look back on and learn from, and it's easier to reverse mistakes. Also make explicit backups of configuration files and such. You can manually copy them (cp file file.prev); you can have your text editor do it for you (by convention, backup files begin with a tilde sign (~)); or if you're really adventurous, you can either stick them in a revision control system like CVS or install a journaling filesystem and figure out how to effect rollback.

Happy hacking!
Advertisement
Oluseyi - I know you.... I've talked to you before about a lot of things here on Gamedev. What you said, didn't sound like Greek to me. But I should have explained my connection a little better.

I have a DSL connection through Qwest (phone company). The provider is MSN. The account is my father's. I have the connection to the DSL through my Eathernet card. The connection runs down stairs to a hub that the DSL modem is connected to.

I am able to read and write this post, so Google is the one acting up. I think I just might have that redirect virus. But how did I get that I wonder? I just ran through three differant operating systems on my computer. XP / Linux / Dual Boot XP & Linux / Pure Linux.

I must say that is has been real fun getting to play around with different flavors of Linux. I'm a little angry because I didn't get Slackware to work. I guess I just have to re-learn my computer skills now because I'm in a real computing environment. One where I actually have a choice and do what I want. I feels great to be free.

Anyways, I can still cruse the internet, I just can't use Google to search. So I'm going to use Netscape or something else. Also, how dose this browser for SuSE work? What happened to Mozilla? I also want to get lots more themes and graphics for SuSE. Then I want to build my own and offer then to people freely.
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox
Quote: Original post by sakky
I am able to read and write this post, so Google is the one acting up. I think I just might have that redirect virus. But how did I get that I wonder? I just ran through three differant operating systems on my computer. XP / Linux / Dual Boot XP & Linux / Pure Linux.
So currently you don't have any versions of Windows on your computer? Have you tested from any other computers? Also test with other browsers that are likely to be on your system, including the text-only browsers lynx and/or links. (The which command locates the path to a specified binary; it's an effective way to test if something is installed.)

Quote: Also, how dose this browser for SuSE work?
It's called Konqueror (assuming you went with the defaults/preferred option and installed and are running KDE), and it's quite similar to Internet Explorer.

Quote: What happened to Mozilla?
It's probably installed, but not your default browser. Type which mozilla into a vterm to see the installation path. If it returns negative, locate the RPMs either through YaST2 or RPMFind.

Quote: I also want to get lots more themes and graphics for SuSE.
KDE Look. GNOME Art & Themes.

Quote: Then I want to build my own and offer then to people freely.
Linux From Scratch, The Linux Documentation Project.

Happy Hacking!
Happy hacking indeed! I'm starting to fall in love with this new Linux I received.

I got my NVIDIA driver installed. I did my self with the installer (NOT YaST). I want to customize my kernel. I want it to only load the things my machine has and uses. I also want to try to get the kernel to use the MMX and 3D Now! technology that I haev in the Athlon-XP.

Later, I want to try and make my own game-programming SDK for Linux. It will probebly be just wrappers for OpenGL and OpenAL plus some killer Linux networking stuff.
Take back the internet with the most awsome browser around, FireFox

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement