🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Windows 2000

Started by
25 comments, last by bosjoh 24 years, 3 months ago
i've also noticed the stupidy lurking behind CS teachers these days. i'm talking about high school here, i'm sure college professors know what they're doing a bit more than your average AP Computers teacher. our high schools seem to be either short on knowledgable programming people, or just plain stupid. mine has the computer department head teaching the AP course, and its very obvious she couldn't distinguish a doubly linked-list from a hole in her head. it annoys me that a respectable school would shove this job upon any ol' teacher that happens to walk by while they are aproving the course. it also pisses me off that a school such as mine (a college prep school) would treat computer science so half-assed as they are. its a big friggin field, with tons of new job opening every year, and they assign a dumb-ass teacher to bumble over the vital concepts and confusing the students. fortunately, most of the students are smart enough to see that she isn't worth her weigh in sh*t when it comes to teaching C++, and they tend to learn it during their own free time from the textbooks and whatnot, soon surpassing her with their knowledge of computers and programming. I think more teachers should take games and graphics programming more seriously; it tends to be a much more difficult project to undertake than the namby-pamby assignments so frequently shelled out. and... doh, my train of thought has been derailed, so i'll just end my little rant there.

-Delta Rho

Advertisement
Getting back to the win 2000 point, I've been talking to people about it and they say that all win 2000 are NT bassed and a diferent version of windows called windows millenium (believe it or not) will be released for the general public bassed on 9x.

Why?

Don't think anybody asked this yet (sorry if you have) but do we know for sure that DirectX will run on the NT based win 2000, 'caus it doesn't on NT4 to the best of my knowledge? I'd loved to be proved wrong though, so I use the work NT network for testing my software.

Ow! And I thought I knew little about all the flavors of Windows. From bottom to top...
_ to STG: Windows NT *DOES* run DirectX, but only up to 3.0. Basically it's engough for anumators and designers since there are no bigs apps that utilize anything higher than that.
- Win2K will come with DX 7.0, as long as MS doesn't make some stupid last minute descision to axe it.
- Also, yes, there will be a Win "Millenium" (2001?) for us people who can't get out of 9x now, which means they renigged on the "Windows-for-all-people" converge of 9x and NT.

_ to RHO: Yep, when I was in HS, all three years ago, all they offered was BASIC <=O at least until my last year, when they added pascal. Hech!
- In my first two years we're were still using APPLE II computers with AppleWrite. Don't get me started about the Internet...

_ to Tom: By the way, what we have on our destops now would *technically* fit the definition of a supercomputer.

[This message has been edited by SonicSilcion (edited October 20, 1999).]

Win2000 will be available in a consumer and a professional version, the prof. will run with the NT kernel and the consumer vers. will run on the Win9x kernel.
=> The consumer version will be as unstable (a bit less?) as Win98 and will have a DOS base, so you can run most DOS4GW games and most programs that run under 98.
=> The prof. version will (should ?) be as stable as the NT kernel and will have the same problems with DOS programs as NT4, because it emulates DOS in a console.

Microsoft wants to the unite the NT and 9x kernel and wants to get rid of (good? old) MS-DOS.

I suggest that you buy the Win2000 prof. version, because it is more stable, reliable, ... and you should be able to use all Win98 stuff like DirectX, USB, etc. .

Aidan

Microsoft did it again! I've heard that you can't run Ms-Dos apps properly (you can throw Borland Turbo Pascal and Borland Turbo C++ out of the window (do you get him?)).

But I can be wrong...

The October issue of Maximum PC has an article about the upcoming versions that will be available. They do talk about Windows Millenium and Windows 2000. Millenium will be 9X based and 2000 is NT based which have both been mentioned. They SWEAR Millenium won't be just another patched upgrade, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Honestly, I use 98 and have had next to no problems with it compared to the problems I had with 95(3 different versions).
Still Learning...
Just clarify....

All versions of Windows 2000 are based on the NT kernel, not the 9x kernel as was suggested earlier. Windows Millenium will be the next release based on the 9x kernel. The "consumer" (as it''s being called) version of W2000 is called "Professional". It *is* based on the NT kernel. Other versions include, Server, Advanced Server, Data Center Server...I think there may be another one there too.
I''ve been using 2000 since it was still called NT5 and I can tell you that it will run alot of 16-bit programs in it''s protected memory space. Borland Turbo C++ is one of the programs I''ve used. However, as soon as it''s a 16-bit program your attempting to run, you''re asking for trouble...sooner or later it will probably screw up.
However, with that said, Win2000 is the most stable, secure, fast ... I could go on, OS I''ve ever used to date.
If you absolutely *need* compliance with older software, and obscure hardware...stick with 9x. If you want the best Microsoft OS on the market, and have the hardware/software to go along with it 2000 is your best choice.

..my .02
~ blackspy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement