🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Windows 2000

Started by
25 comments, last by bosjoh 24 years, 3 months ago
Small question. mhkrause mentioned DOS and Win16. What the heck is Win32(s)? From what I understand it's a crude prcurrsor ro Win95.
Advertisement
Win32s is a subset of the regular Win32 API; it permits some Win32 apps to be run under Windows 3.1 (and Wfwg 3.11). Fortunately, Win3.1 is sufficiently dead that we really don't need to worry about it. I just hope that the various DOS-based Windows systems die soon; Win95 and Win98 are HORRIBLE compared to the speed/stability of Win2000 on a machine capable of running it properly.

Oh, and I've actually been able to use DJGPP for text-mode compilations under Win2k. RHIDE doesn't work well at all under any of the NT kernels, though. I don't know about Watcom, although I'm told it works as long as your target is Win32. Borland C++ seems to work as well as it ever did - which isn't brilliantly, IMO. (I haven't tried earlier 16-bit versions, Turbo C/Pascal, etc.) VC++ is probably the compiler of choice these days, and it works very well under Win2k!

Hey, as long as I can run my own cheesy 16-bit DOS utility programs
and see the text results in some kind of command-prompt window, I
don't care how Win2k is setup. Microsoft better not screw with this.

? Did Microsoft accually get arid of backwards compatability, or is it just a more cluttered version of what they have always made?
? Also has anyone checked to see if Borland C++ doesn't work or if they inserted a line in windows to say don't let C++ work like they tried to do to Netscape in windows 98?

---------------------------------------------
And Zer while both Trolls and Turtles have wrinkley greenish skin and both can be found under bridges, it is a great insult to call a turtle trollish.
---------------------------------------------

------------------
DESIGN FANATIC
David Abresch
abre1657@blue.univnorthco.edu

DESIGN FANATIC
David Abresch
abre1657@blue.univnorthco.edu
As long as your DOS apps don't write directly to the hardware, everything is fine. Some *simple* graphic modes are emulated, but i doubt that mode-x or or weird interlaced modes work. Doom, Doom2, Quake, Duke3D, ... forget it. Anything that requires some kind of DOS driver will most probably fail to run on Win2k. This includes old tape backups. Remember Win2k just emulates DOS in the command prompt, DOS is not really there. The rule is that if it writes directly to the hardware, it probably won't run in Win2k... unless MS took the time to emulate it. And we know there are better things to do that emulate DOS...
Turtle, your idiocy is amazing. You probably *believed* Jobs when he said the G4 was a supercomputer.
Ok. I don't know about everything posted in this thread, so guess what: I wont list detail and assumptions that I "heard" somewhere else. But, I do know a few usefull tidbits.

1. Windows 2000 DOES run 16 bit code. At least in theory, but not ALL 16 bit code.

2. Windows 2000 is NOT completely compatible with 16 bit DOS and Windows. For one, ANY program requiring VXDs WILL NOT RUN, PERIOD. In case you don't know...that's quite a large percentage of old 16 bit windows apps.

3. When talking about Windows 2000 it is ALWAYS necessary to clairify if you mean the consumer or the professional editions because the consumer edition IS Win9x based while all other edition are Windows NT based.

I remember a few other things, but I'm not sure...so I'll post back later.

Whoa!
A lot of replies all of a sudden.

Get this: my schoolmates are still learning the basics of C++ in DOS. When win2k is a standard I doubt that they can still program normally (lucky that I get the hang of DX).

In fact: they are learning nothing (well almost)!

Turtle: May I ask why they would get rid of compatibility they had in NT 4? You can run plenty of DOS apps under NT 4 without problems. Doom included, I might add, the only games it hates are ones that use funky memory managers... it hates Allegro for DOS too so you can make your lameass conspiracy theories here too.

You honestly believe they added a line to Windows to do that? Just what kind of gullible excuse for a developer ARE you? I suppose you also develop in Java? Or Linux? YEAH LETS FIGHT THE EVIL EMPIRE, give it up, there is no evil empire, nomatter how much you hate using Windows 98. It's your own fault for not realizing it's a piece of garbage and not getting WinNT.

And I was commenting on your "MICROSOFT SUCKS" post. Far and away they have the best compilers out there. Wonderful products. Bob and the Win9x kernel are pretty much their only large scale mistakes.

Tom: I've actually plyed plenty of DOS games under it. One Must Fall 2097, Doom II (why bother with this though when there's Doom Legacy), a few minor ones. OMF has some memory manager problems and crashes out if I try to use sound, but agian this is NT4. DOS compatibility wouldn't have gone DOWNHILL from here, I suspect, it's never been perfect under NT. And yes Turtle is an idiot, I agree. I suppose he believed that the iMac was a superior computer for gaming too with Job's "Celeron 500 with ATI Rage Pro vs iMac 450 with ATI Rage 128" truly fair benchmark. Not like the Celeron is going to max out that crappy card a long time ago.

I'm going by NT4 knowledge, mind you folks, I see no reason compatibility would get worse instead of better, as that is just a very stupid assumption, anyway.

Xai: NT4 runs 16 bit code fine, why wouldn't W2K? No VXDs though... then again no Win32 VXDs either.

Oh wait that's the next part of what you said. Actually very few apps used VXDs in those days, none that I can think of. Kali95 won't run on Win2K though I am certain...

Why are they even MAKING a consumer edition? Talk about brand confusion.

bosjoh: They'll be fine, why are you worrying..

I just needed to say that.
I think there are a lot of idiots hanging around at school.
The teachers don't know anything about assembler.
When you're trying to program graphics at a programming lesson they stand behind you, turning off your computer and say: "stop playing games". Or "you don't need that".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement